River bream

smiffy

Site Supporter
At some point,each winter,someone will get 100lb out of the Suffolk Stour. Getting the right day is the biggest problem. There are some big shoals of fish but hitting the river when the planets align is the headache.
Firstly you need to know where they are. Secondly you need the river to be holding colour,fining down and the weather mild. Thirdly you need to find the bigger fish,5lb plus. You can get the skimmers in not so perfect conditions.
The Chelmer has a few shoals. Location is the problem. Again the conditions need to be perfect.
Winter is the best time because the weed has died,more likely to get colour and the fish will be more tightly shoaled.
You can get them in summer after dark,if that’s your thing, but only for a few hours then they switch off. You have to combat the weed and gin clear water.
Just to add. There are some very big fish in both rivers. I’ve heard some ridiculous claims about Chelmer Bream that I will only believe if I catch one. But both rivers hold 8lb plus fish for sure.

BTMS

Site Supporter
Al, As smiffy says the Chelmer has some very good bream.. One of our guys had 98lb of bream in a 5hr match average weight was 9lb!!!! It was one of those days right location and conditions.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
ive had some pretty decent bream catches from the Chelmer back on the day just outside chelmsford but bot sure what its like now, my bro still lives down there so will give him a call

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Not specific Rivers Al, but any that have deeper, wider and steadier parts I would think. That said, I reckon Bream are evolving a bit and being a bit less fussy in where they will reside, in the pursuit of getting in on the feed that goes in for other species in some quite un bream like parts of rivers.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Thanks lads didn’t realise there was any bream in the Chelmer
It’s not solid with Bream but they are there. Ulting Church is a well known spot and the area that I’ve been told holds massive Bream,16lb plus. Like I say though,I’d need to see one to believe it. Hoe mills mill pool certainly holds some good fish. The speeney section,belonging to Maldon club has some fish. Anywhere else is about doing some homework and putting the time in to locate them. It’s not easy;)