River Barbel in or around Bristol

Status
Not open for further replies.

walzins

Hi All,

I have never fished for barbel before and was wondering if anyone knows of any stretches of river in or around Bristol that hold them?

Ive fished Keynsham (by the old lock and weir pub) and have only ever had chub and bream.

Any info or advice on areas, swims etc would be great.

Many Thanks

[:D]

Ricky24

Rich
I've fished at Lacock a fair bit in the past and it is an interesting river. There are quite a few big fish present but they get a lot of attention from other anglers and are quite switched on to baits and rigs. That said, like any barbel, if you can find
'em, & feed 'em, they are catchable. If you are prepared to work at it and don't expect many multiple catches, then give
it a go. Avon barbel love corn though of late, lots have come to pellets and paste baits too. I would go for the feeder method and keep the bait going in and use a hair rigged Elips pellet. But like everything when Barbel are the quarry, there are 3 lessons to remember Location, Location and Location. Good luck.

lobwormking

Papa
Site Supporter
Are you a member of any local clubs [?] Bathampton AA have some good Barbel waters at Claverton Island near Bath. There are a few stretchs of free water available: Bath city weir from the railings outside Bath rugby club or further out at Bradford on Avon behind the library or from the Railway carpark up to the swimming pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.