River Anker - Mancetter area.

Bilko130

Hi Folks,

I've recently returned to fishing after a few years away from the sport. My god, how the tackle shops have changed!!!o_O Think there are more catches in the shops, than on the bank! :LOL:

Anyway, I work just off the A5, and drive over the River Anker at the Mancetter island every day. Not had chance to stop there and look over the bridge yet, but I was wondering if anyone had any info on fishing it?

I have visions of a small meandering river, stalking along "John Wilson" style, (RIP) from likely looking swims to the next, bagging up with huge long forgotten Chub and Barbel, Roach to 3lbs and Perch to at least 5lbs.... I have no doubt that the reality will be tangle, snagged, retackle, snag, tree etc... and a 2oz suicidal roach, if I'm lucky.

Google maps shows some twists and turns down from Dobbies to the bridge on the A5, mostly agricultural land surrounding the river. I thought of having a walk along there, see if there are any signs up for who it belongs too, then I thought of Maggotdrowning forum.

Any info folks? Anywhere I could go and have an hour or 2 before/after work?

Trevor B

Site Supporter
Bilko , To my limited knowledge the fishing rights need to be checked first , BAA have two stretches at Harlaston and Netherseal and the Burton Mutual have rights at Clifton Campville . Weed is a major issue in the summer so it tends to be an Autumn / Winter venue . I plan to have a roving session on the Burton waters once the Autumn has set in properly .

Arch

Site Supporter
Bilko , To my limited knowledge the fishing rights need to be checked first , BAA have two stretches at Harlaston and Netherseal and the Burton Mutual have rights at Clifton Campville . Weed is a major issue in the summer so it tends to be an Autumn / Winter venue . I plan to have a roving session on the Burton waters once the Autumn has set in properly .

That’s the Mease you’re talking about, not the Anker.

As for the OP, sorry, but I can’t help you.

Arch

Site Supporter
Just drove over the Anker at Woodford ln. It looked very weedy and overgrown.

ulladubulla

Luke D.
Site Supporter
I used to fish the Anker at Atherstone as a kid. Winning match weights were between 8-15lb predominantly dace, gudgeon, roach and the odd chub. 3M angling used to own the rights to it then.

I’ve also fished it at Alvecote/polesworth where it is a bit wider, but still weedy. Alvecote used to be good for the odd bream, tench etc

Bilko130

Hi folks,

Over the past week or so, (I was on earlies:sleep: ) the river levels has been so high I've not been able to walk in the same field as the river!
The fields surrounding the banks are just mud flavored grass!

However, info from some locals is of poor fishing due to a lot of floods, because of run off, from surrounding area's.

Still gonna take a look, once the levels have rescinded to a point I can actually walk the bank.