River anglers - hooklengths when float fishing..

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
I tie enough hooklengths for other strands of fishing i do, so tend to use ready tied direct from the packet- drennan super strength for Barbel, good old drennan red for maggot when fishing for silvers. Any form of feeder fishing then different story and length of hookength and varying it is vital at times.

It's stood me ok for river match fishing situations, but i will hazard a guess and as these weren't top end big matches i fished, with all respect to those in them (including myself..) there could be alot more effort and thought tactically, behind making your own, as really one or two eluded to above already.

99% of my brain is taken up with Barbel largely, so little room (or time) left for things i can do simpler and do ok at still, as well as i want to.

Depends therefore i suppose on how far you wish (or need) to take it for what you have planned.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Mick
Billy used 18in hook lengths

I was in truth, really referring to billys shotting patterns and the placement of the "tell tale" shot as to differing float patterns and circumstance

Float fishing is a fantastic book and really is one thats stood the test of time

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Is it a bit of a no no to have a number 8 dropper 6 inches from the hook on a 18 inch hooklength?

That's what I always do when fishing stillwaters. Or is it just pointless on a river? I like having the last dropper close to the hook and tie my hooklengths to a longer length when float fishing. Just what I've always done as my pole rig hooklengths are around 5 inches and I have no shot on the hooklength for them. I think my hook would feel lonely if I didn't have that telltale shot close to it?

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Depends on the situation really @Zerkalo and the river, pace largely. Faster pace then a no'8 isn't doing much. To drag bottom in a fast flow you would be surprised at the effect a no6 and certainly a no'4 can have however, but yes never on the hooklength for me, so probably 12 inch from the hook.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah I'd be less inclined to put a bigger shot than no8 on a hooklength. So makes sense for a river rig, cheers. I really want to do some stick float fishing.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
There is no right or wrong way it's all down to you and how the fish want it.
But it can make a big difference so I carry different lengths from 6in up

Mark you don't happen to know what length Ivan used for the stick. It's a detail that seems to be missing in his two books.
Ivan was a lover of fishing straight through whenever he could. I've known him fish 1.1lb bayer perlon straight through to a 22 or a 24 ' 90340 ' on the Trent using a Benny Ashurst 3No 4 stick. He fished a lot lighter than anyone thought. So, for you to say you can not find reference does not surprise me at all.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I never put shot directly on the hooklength as don't feel I need any closer than say 10" from the hook but the shot I always put directly above the hooklength can vary from anything from a no.9 to a no.1 on rivers depending on the conditions.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I never put shot directly on the hooklength as don't feel I need any closer than say 10" from the hook but the shot I always put directly above the hooklength can vary from anything from a no.9 to a no.1 on rivers depending on the conditions.

I learn a lot from threads like this. Thanks!

trotter2

Ivan was a lover of fishing straight through whenever he could. I've known him fish 1.1lb bayer perlon straight through to a 22 or a 24 ' 90340 ' on the Trent using a Benny Ashurst 3No 4 stick. He fished a lot lighter than anyone thought. So, for you to say you can not find reference does not surprise me at all.
Thanks for that tipitinmick thats really interesting. Did you personally know Ivan ?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Thanks for that tipitinmick thats really interesting. Did you personally know Ivan ?
I fished for Barnsley when Ivan was there. Graduated through the Barnsley junior team to senior team bank runner then to full team fishing north east regions and nationals. Ivan once won me an Attenborough gravels match. He wasnt doing a great deal himself and he knew I was on a good peg. He came and sat behind me. First thing he did was bol ##### me for striking too soon when fishing worm for bream. I still remember the noise ( tsssssst ) his cigs made has they hit the water at the side of me. He usually lit one off another. What a boy.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
For my stick float sessions I always used ready tied hooks, which I got from Terry Dorman, to a yard of line. This may seem excessive but on the Trent you were constantly moving your dropper shots to keep in touch with the fish and a knot on a short hook length just got in the way. It was a common saying on the circuit that "Me droppers were red hot" meaning that the shot had been moved so often to keep in touch. The movement could be as little as an inch but it made all the difference. (and before anyone else says it; I know an inch often makes a big difference.:p)

trotter2

I fished for Barnsley when Ivan was there. Graduated through the Barnsley junior team to senior team bank runner then to full team fishing north east regions and nationals. Ivan once won me an Attenborough gravels match. He wasnt doing a great deal himself and he knew I was on a good peg. He came and sat behind me. First thing he did was bol ##### me for striking too soon when fishing worm for bream. I still remember the noise ( tsssssst ) his cigs made has they hit the water at the side of me. He usually lit one off another. What a boy.
Brilliant stuff mate. Thanks for sharing that.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Were they the Toony rip offs Mick? Attenborough was where I started fishing in the late 50's, half a crown a day for adults. I never actually met Ivan although I often fished the same matches, wish I'd spent the time to go and watch him and ask some questions, my loss:cry:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Were they the Toony rip offs Mick? Attenborough was where I started fishing in the late 50's, half a crown a day for adults. I never actually met Ivan although I often fished the same matches, wish I'd spent the time to go and watch him and ask some questions, my loss:cry:
?? Yes, youve guessed correctly. Good old Steve ( rip off ) Toone matches. We tended to move the higgin matches to there when the Trent was in flood. That or the Beeston canal. Funny how the Nottingham lads always had worm and joker when the match got moved to the Beeston canal. Funny that. ???

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
?? Yes, youve guessed correctly. Good old Steve ( rip off ) Toone matches. We tended to move the higgin matches to there when the Trent was in flood. That or the Beeston canal. Funny how the Nottingham lads always had worm and joker when the match got moved to the Beeston canal. Funny that. ???
We all had crystall balls mate:p

trotter2

We have had this topic a few times I can imagine how confusing it must be for a beginner . Anything from 6 inches to 1 yard long .A good starting point for anyone would be 10 inches and no shot

nejohn

Site Supporter
Mine tend to be 12 inches as that is what I carry ready tied, I always start with my last shot just above the knot loop in the main line (always use the loop to loop method) but I will be prepared to change things as the session developed and yes I have ended sometimes fishing 4ft of water with a 3ft hook length and a few no 8's and 10's on the hook length also ended up with a 6 inch hook length and a bulk of shot just above that. So no hard and fast rule it is what works on the day so don't be afraid to try something different if what you are doing is not working ....as has been said many times the definition of an idiot is some one that repeats the same thing over and over again and expects different results