Rive R16 professional pole

Coxey70

Can anyone tell me if this pole is any good can it handle carp? I’ve heard the sections are very very expensive and a top kit costs £170 ouch. Does anyone know if that the case.

rufcuk

Not much go on eh its one of these or an original Air which is brand new. Decision decisions

yes sorry for that - they are are a nice pole but wether it’s worth the money is down to you - you can’t go wrong with a air

if you want some more Opinions on the rive go on the rive Facebook group and ask your question - but I warn you now there is a couple of anglers who have Had bad experiencss with the rive poles like you can get with any - but they are very vocal about it

Coxey70

I got told a story about Mr Woo who owns Rive and who manufacturers for a lot of the big companies out there. These poles are his flagship using the very best carbons etc. What got me interested is they have dropped £1300 in price to £2200 and I’m looking at a Daiwa Air which was purchased 2 years ago but the guys never used it and wants £1800 but that’s pole only so I need to buy top kits cupping kit and Holdall which in reality means I’m going to be spending £2400ish then other poles start to appear at that price range like the Middy Xz65-3. The Rive looked new £3200 reduced to £2200 only reason I was interested in it.

ulladubulla

Luke D.
Site Supporter
Hi - I have the Rive Pro and it’s a great pole for all types of fishing and probably the strongest flagship type pole I have used, without being too heavy or losing stiffness. There are lots of other poles in the range now off the same mandrel and I use 3/4/5s for the river off the competition which are significantly cheaper. I use it on canals, rivers and commercials with all types of elastics, joint wear is minimal and loads of availability for spares.

Quite a few stockists now so worth a try!

ulladubulla

Luke D.
Site Supporter
I’m in Newark if you want a try with one elasticated. Fishing Hallcroft Sunday and Lindholme Monday as well.

Attachments

• 9E0DC324-9EF6-41F3-9A95-073A7CECA6A1.jpeg
    9E0DC324-9EF6-41F3-9A95-073A7CECA6A1.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 41
  • BCE58FDF-0F58-4FC6-BC2A-EA424F7254A5.jpeg
    BCE58FDF-0F58-4FC6-BC2A-EA424F7254A5.jpeg
    427.3 KB · Views: 39

ulladubulla

Luke D.
Site Supporter
Hi Luke, can you use the match kits for up in the water slapping for carp in the 4 - 8lb range?
Yes - they are longer type kits though. For smaller carp/f1s i use the Map Shallow kits which fit perfect and dont affect the pole at all. I do have some of the Rive F1 kits which are lovely - super light but if im 100% honest you can get 3 Map kits to one Rive.

adriang

Site Supporter
My experience with Rive is that the availability of spares is very hit and miss. Can't imagine its going to improve either.

Wolves996

Thanks for that, noticed that the match kits have a strengthened area for a puller just wondered whether they were strong enough for angry carp! I have the power kits but thought they would unbalance the pole at longer lengths. I have a number of F1 kits with it and was also wondering whether to have a wrap put on the number 2 for a puller and use those as a carp top 2, what’s your verdict on the pole, have’nt used it yet but does feel very well balanced and strong?

ulladubulla

Luke D.
Site Supporter
I’ve had mine for probably 2.5 years and use it for everything, but predominantly silvers. It’s a heavier pole than some but measure it and it is the length it says it is! It’s a lovely balanced pole. Imo the match kits are more than fine for carp of that size, I sold all my power kits long ago, have yet to see a true power kit that doesn’t unbalance a pole.

Have you got the Pro or Pro2? Some subtle changes on the Pro 2.

in terms of spares there are a number of uk stockists now (rather than just Nathan’s a few years ago) - if anyone is struggling for spares let me know and I’ll try and sort it out for you. 👍