Ripley Castle

Status
Not open for further replies.

shonkyboy

I was up at Ripley Castle the other day gorging on ice cream when i noticed a rather large 'lake' thing in the grounds. After a bit of searching (half hartedley) on t'net i found a picture saying that this 'lake' is actually the River Nidd!
Does anyone fish this - and if so - whats it like and are there any decent fish (inc Barbel) resident in there? I think its a bit near the source for Newies Nemisis Species and as it is essentially a stillwater so then maybe its more of a carpy / breamy / tenchy water.
I also heard that it was 70 for the book which is steep.
Also i heard theree are no day tickets.
Anyones comments who know about this and have fished it would be appreciated. [8D]

Stephen

Yorkshire is best
Site Supporter
I don't have much info, walked round the lake/river last year it looked to be full of large carp, don't know about other species.

HAd a very quick search of the internet, this picture is all I have found.
http://www.dave-ford.co.uk/RipleyCastle_Fishing.htm

shonkyboy

yeah - thats what i found. i was surprised to see that it was the Nidd - the inlet and outlet looked like a stream to me.

Hatman

Drawbag ace
I don't think its the River Nidd. I haven't got the O/S map for Ripley but I've got the one to the south that has the Nidd on it. The Nidd runs from west to east to the South of Ripley & almost at Killinghall, there is a disused railway line between the river and Ripley castle + village, so unless you crossed one to get to the lake then i reckon that the inlet/outlet is just a minor tributary.

shonkyboy

Yeah - i thought id looked more like a trib - the stream was quite small on the outlet - I dint see the inlet - but you can have a look on goole: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q=

might have a look on google earth - got to install first.

stymie

Really nice up there, some super tench and bream to be had but here is the bad news. You need a season ticket, and there is a lengthy waiting list for new members. Current price of a season ticket is 75, which is more than likeley to increase. If you are still interested ring the estate on 01423 770152 and ask for the bailiff.

stymie

Not the Nidd mate, a tributary. I think that it runs into the Nidd a little north of Killinghall. If you are heading north out of Killinghall, it enters the Nidd about a hundred yards upstream of the bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.