Rip off Britain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Talk about Rip off Britain, work this one out:

AdamS asked about a Maggotdrowning T-Shirt, being in Ireland the currency is in Euros. To accept a Euro cheque made payable to MD.com and pay it into the site's account it would cost an additional 10.00 in handling fees
!!
On the other hand, if it is made to me personally and paid into my personal account there are no charges - and it's the same Bank ??!!??

Not to be outdone we've gone for the second option for Euros and I'll just transfer it over for free.

Barmy if you ask me,

Dave

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Page 118 Improve your Coarse Fishing April 2002

The Plano Box model 759 containing "a smaller compartment at the very top for your traces etc."

Price 84.99 GBP

Just bought the Plano 758 today, which is identical except for the above mentioned 'smaller compartment'

Price 14.98 US dollars, (just over 10 GBP!)

Rip off Britain?

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Trev,is there any stock left in Bass Pro??????????
How will you bring it all back??????
Container??????
Please don't tell us anymore US prices,don't want the suicide rate rising.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Peter - the tackle bought on day 2 is all sorted and loaded in the tackle box as is the 50lb digital scale (12.36). Lots of additional room.

The tackle bought today along with the nice tent /w rain flap for $40 (27.4) and the steel frame, collapsable, canvas chair for $10 (6.8) are all fitted into his duffle bag along with clothing and such.

From some long discussions Trev and I had, you folks get food at a better price than we do as well as much of your clothing. However, you are getting hammered badly on lots of other things. I honestly don't see how some folks manage to get along.

Especially the prices on lures, line, and some other angling items are way over the top. Trev got a great selection of lures and paid from half a quid to 2 quid for them. Average was probably about 1.5.

Newt Vail

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
hiya Newt some of them prices brilliant.
you'll have to start the Newt-Zip mail order co.
some of the prices we have to pay for bits of plastic are untrue.

teepee.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
I think that once he gets settled down and has a day or so when he isn't fishing, Trev should do a photo display of his tackle box and lure collection and details on what he has caught with them or what he plans to try for.

I know he has some that are rarely seen over in your part of the world.

And I know some of the techniques he has learned would make a lure angler shudder if paying UK prices for the things since they involve getting the lure down amongst the stumps, rocks, logs, weeds, whatever and banging into anything there to irritate/entice the preds. Great for catching but you will certainly lose the occasional lure that way.

In general, we treat lures the way you folks do bait. You use it and use it up and buy more. Depending on where and how I fish, I can easily break off 3 or 4 lures during a days fishing. I very carefully didn't put Trev into any of that sort of cover though since he hadn't adjusted yet and I was afraid he would have a spasm or something. Just let him watch it done on a video tape.

Newt Vail

norm

NEWT
i paid 10 for a rapala lure as i thought it may just increase my catch rate...............

1st cast snaged and lost i could not bloody belive it .
do you pay them prices and loose 4 or 5 ?

any way dead bait for pike was my answer to that one
(i will never pay 10 again for a piece of plastic)

hope to see you some time

see ya later
.norm

it isn`t the size of the tiddler that counts

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Rapala lures norm?

Yeah I just got some @ 99cents each!about 70p!
How much are mackerel these days?

Cya

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Norm - that was pretty much my point. Lures over here (with a few exceptions) are inexpensive enough that losing the occasional one or two isn't so traumatic.

I normally visit BassPro and look thru their bins of lures that are discounted - new style available or something - and generally pay around $1.50 to $2 per lure (or about 1 - 1.4). At that price, the loss is annoying but not painful.

I avoid the 10 lures no matter how nice they look since I'd be worried about breaking off as well. If fishing water less deep than my rod length, I can almost always get the lure back by positioning the boat right over it. Deeper and it isn't so easy.

When Trev posts his lure details, take a good look though. Some of his are as little as 70p US or less than half a quid so even with VAT, duty, shipping, whatever, you would still pay less than a quid each for them.

Also the entire line of soft plastics are very inexpensive. Weight, hook, and a packet of lure bodies which are usually in the range of 10-15 bodies for around 2 or less.

Newt Vail

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Norm,
You dont have to wait for post,'cos I've promised Andy to bring the box to Drayton.
I'll show you them all.
Andy tells me that I can try them at Semmer too!, so I'll be looking for info!

By the way Newt,
I calculate its 3.05 pm!

You and I should be on the water bud!

Cya

Trev

Ziptrev pug.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Status
Not open for further replies.