RIP Football VAR has killed you.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
How can they justify a penalty when a player has his back to the ball and it accidently glances off his arm,it's a nonsence,if they started giving penalties for the manhandling that goes on in the box however,which is deemed to be a foul anywhere else on the pitch,in fact a sending off if it's the last player then someone would need forty goals to win the golden boot.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Why is it that Football cannot get it's reply system in order ?? Tennis, Cricket and Rugby seem to have it sorted, but Football still has problems with theirs ??

Natural breaks in other sports, periods of play could go on indefinitely in football.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
To me the "handball in the box" decision is simple. Would it be a free kick anywhere else on the pitch? Yes = penalty, no = no penalty.

For me too. A bit like a foul is bad enough for a yellow (if it is) in the first minute or the last. In-consistency breeds contempt, some refs give a chance and open themselves up for it, others keen from minute one on being 'the referee'.

Games ruined now.

markymark123

Site Supporter
This handball rule has to change for the sake of the game. I don't know what the answer is but it can't stay as it is, like the OP says it's just wrecking the game. Ridiculous decision against spurs for Newcastle to get the draw.

Pclaret

VAR isn’t the problem, it’s the stupid new rules they keep bringing in.
As for the game itself it died many years ago. Used to absolutely love it, nowadays I’m nearly half embarrassed to show an interest with the way the game is played.

nejohn

Site Supporter
As a Newcastle fan I will take the penalty on the grounds that if you apply the letter of the law as it now stands then it was a penalty.... Do I agree with the law as it now stands is a completely different matter. It is not VAR that is ruining the game it is the law makers (who mostly have never played the game) that are trying to make the game fit in with VAR technology and make all decisions very black and white ( excuse the pun). My view is the Newcastle decision was the application of a bad rule but for me what is worse is now the managers and players are now trying to gain advantages from these new rules. Over the weekend there were several cases of attackers deliberately kicking the ball at defenders in the hope it would hit the arm, then there was also Vardy deliberately running across a defender even though the ball was travelling in the opposite direction in order to initiate contact with the defender.... Is it just me or have the goal posts moved... When I played the game you tried to score from open play not tried to 'win' a penalty like it seems to be now. At best it is very unsporting but is more likely down right cheating, however the pundits that were complaining about the handball decision were condoning Vardy's antics

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
" VAR isn’t the problem, it’s the stupid new rules they keep bringing in "

VAR is the problem because the rules are being adjusted to allow VAR decision making to be black or white

Pclaret

So it is the rules then?
They should leave the rules as they were and still use VAR. not by a crowd of idiots at Stockley park, but by the referee at pitch side.
Job done.
As for cheating, the game is absolutely riddled with it, to a nauseating level, no matter who you support, never been a poorer time to watch top flight English football, and as for these rules, they are taking the fans as mugs.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
...........Admired for trying it, those persisting with it, would be respected further for admitting its killing the game and ditching it.

Trouble is the game is being used a one big trial for it and changes to the game to suit VAR is happening, when in the original trials of it, VAR was being tweaked to suit the game.

There seems to be more disagreement and frustrations with decisions from managers, fans, pundits and as a direct result of the use of it now and all the mess and delays that go with it, than before we had it.

Be happy to just go back to a time where you have debate and people who agreed with a decision and those that didn't, but the refs decision and immediately was the opinion that mattered. I would then like to see the money saved on its purchasing, maintenance and further development helping the game in these times and in better training for refs and quality models in the ref structure to ensure their decisions are the most accurate they can be, ironically what VAR was supposed to achieve.

H T B

Site Supporter
As a Newcastle fan I will take the penalty on the grounds that if you apply the letter of the law as it now stands then it was a penalty.... Do I agree with the law as it now stands is a completely different matter. It is not VAR that is ruining the game it is the law makers (who mostly have never played the game) that are trying to make the game fit in with VAR technology and make all decisions very black and white ( excuse the pun). My view is the Newcastle decision was the application of a bad rule but for me what is worse is now the managers and players are now trying to gain advantages from these new rules. Over the weekend there were several cases of attackers deliberately kicking the ball at defenders in the hope it would hit the arm, then there was also Vardy deliberately running across a defender even though the ball was travelling in the opposite direction in order to initiate contact with the defender.... Is it just me or have the goal posts moved... When I played the game you tried to score from open play not tried to 'win' a penalty like it seems to be now. At best it is very unsporting but is more likely down right cheating, however the pundits that were complaining about the handball decision were condoning Vardy's antics
Suggest you go and watch the Man City v Leicester game again.
Man City defence has been shocking for a while.
All three penalties were stonewall penalties as the player blindsided the defender.
Not antics, but tactics.
I’d question the defending, not the attackers.

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
It just needs common sense using, is a player a millimetre offside, was it a deliberate handball etc. It was brought in if the ref made an obvious mistake, it is now being used for the minuscule of offences.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Suggest you go and watch the Man City v Leicester game again.
Man City defence has been shocking for a while.
All three penalties were stonewall penalties as the player blindsided the defender.
Not antics, but tactics.
I’d question the defending, not the attackers.
I get where you are coming from but if the ball is travelling in the opposite direction to that of the player then he is obviously not trying to get the ball he has another agenda which I suspect is trying to 'win' a penalty, for me it should only be a penalty if the offence stops the player either playing the ball or getting to the ball, if the player is running in the opposite direction to the ball then he is not trying to do either. I really do not like these tactics of 'winning' a penalty it is certainly not in the spirit of the game when a player would rather try and get a penalty than score a goal. I used to play as a striker and would run through a brick wall if it meant I would score a goal, going down to win a penalty never crossed my mind.
I suggest you go watch some video of people like George Best, Dennis Law etc they got 7 shades of rubbish kicked out of them but still stayed on their feet and tried to score. I know the game has moved on but the object of the game is still to score more goals than your opponent not get more penalties, free kicks or players sent off

H T B

Site Supporter
Go back to the game on Sunday.
Where exactly was the ball in relation to each player that got fouled?

Also, with your idea, you are giving licence to defenders to foul, as the ball is nowhere near or going away from the player.
One of the reasons we now have VAR is to stop that sort of foul!

nejohn

Site Supporter
The 1st penalty on Sunday the ball was going generally from the corner of the penalty area towards the goal Vardy however was running into the box and across the defender generally towards the corner flag. I have no issues with the use of VAR to get the right decisions, what I do have an issue with is players and managers deliberatly using VAR and var derived rules to gain an advantage. whether it be a defender or an attacker it doesn't matter. Also you can not possibly have different rules for different area's of the pitch nor different rules for defenders than those to attackers.

H T B

Site Supporter
That last part about different rules I agree with.
Last season if an attacker hand balled in the build up to a goal, the goal was disallowed.
Same offence committed by a defender, no penalty.
This season, defenders are being penalised as well, and people are in uproar as penalties are being given for ludicrous handballs.
They can’t have it both ways!
The whole handball ruling needs revision, but it has to apply the same for every player

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Own worst enemy at times footballers and managers. Favour a defender with a rule and an attacker finds a way to exploit it, stay on your feet and your manager will pull you up for it. Don't matter what the rules are to a degree, teams and players will find a way to exploit them.

One that used to do my head in, which they did for a period sort out, was defenders at the point of a shot, turning their back, crouching almost and sticking their elbows out and blocking the ball.

davylad

Site Supporter
Don't blame VAR for ruining football, the rot set in years ago with the obscene wages and cheats.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
That would be the late 60s then when you could freely kick the s**t out of other players but it was okay as "all teams had hard men enforcers" and the salary cap was lifted.