Ringstead. Brian crowhurst lakes.

Harry969

Hi guys.
I have just brought a Wellingborough club card and want to fish Barker's and brightwells. Took a walk around a while ago and looks great. Any idea on how they fish. What kind of stock ect and Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. 🙂
Thanks.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Evening Harry,

@Neil of the Nene is definitely your man there. I have had the pleasure of fishing with Neil on the Milcotton main lake a couple of times.

rd350lc

Both specimen type waters if that's your thing ( hopefully it is after buying a ticket )
Hopefully others will be along with advice , used to fish Barker's in the olden days before the boilie brigade got to it and used to catch ok ( bream and odd tench) but it's got harder year on year to catch those species in the day ( I believe many are still caught at night )

rd350lc

Evening Harry,

@Neil of the Nene is definitely your man there. I have had the pleasure of fishing with Neil on the Milcotton main lake a couple of times.
Right lines mate but Neil fishes millcotton and I don't think Barker's or Brightwells .

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Right lines mate but Neil fishes millcotton and I don't think Barker's or Brightwells .

Ah but he will definitely know a man that does. (y)

Hope your keeping well chip (y)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Barkers is the most popular because of ease of access and well maintained swims as you will have seen. I always regard Barker's as a lake that needs to be fished regularly in order to work it out and follow its moods. Brightwells used to be known for its tench. It can, or used to, get very weedy in Summer.

I would try the club's Facebook page for information. Also give the head bailiff a call. Quite a few of the bailiffs fish it regularly and he will probably be able to give you some contacts.

In recent weeks the cages that were installed years ago as a fish refuge from the cormorants have been removed. I spoke with two of the divers who did the work a couple of weeks ago. They reported seeing no fish while in the water. There are fish in there as they do get caught. But possibly the cormorants have had their fill of the smaller stuff.

For carp I would also point you towards Canons Ashby, available on the club book. The upper lake has a good head of large carp as well as other species. Princess lake at Barnwell has a few larger fish but I know can be hit and miss. The regularss are a friendly bunch and will give advice. Finally, Grendon ponds have some larger carp as well. I have never fished these.

The two Millcotton lakes, Snake and Donut are mixed fisheries. Easier to say they contain no dace or pike than list what is in there. Carp to ten pound and the odd one over in the snake lake. Donut has carp to five. But there are far more silvers than carp in both. Crucians to three pound, skimmers and bream with some up to five pound. Approach both as silvers lakes with the carp as a bonus for a good mixed day. Both lakes will accept a fair bit of feed. Feed pellet (I use micros mainly) and fish expander (hard in Summer), maggot, pinkie, meat, corn and corn skin.

Harry969

Barkers is the most popular because of ease of access and well maintained swims as you will have seen. I always regard Barker's as a lake that needs to be fished regularly in order to work it out and follow its moods. Brightwells used to be known for its tench. It can, or used to, get very weedy in Summer.

I would try the club's Facebook page for information. Also give the head bailiff a call. Quite a few of the bailiffs fish it regularly and he will probably be able to give you some contacts.

In recent weeks the cages that were installed years ago as a fish refuge from the cormorants have been removed. I spoke with two of the divers who did the work a couple of weeks ago. They reported seeing no fish while in the water. There are fish in there as they do get caught. But possibly the cormorants have had their fill of the smaller stuff.

For carp I would also point you towards Canons Ashby, available on the club book. The upper lake has a good head of large carp as well as other species. Princess lake at Barnwell has a few larger fish but I know can be hit and miss. The regularss are a friendly bunch and will give advice. Finally, Grendon ponds have some larger carp as well. I have never fished these.

The two Millcotton lakes, Snake and Donut are mixed fisheries. Easier to say they contain no dace or pike than list what is in there. Carp to ten pound and the odd one over in the snake lake. Donut has carp to five. But there are far more silvers than carp in both. Crucians to three pound, skimmers and bream with some up to five pound. Approach both as silvers lakes with the carp as a bonus for a good mixed day. Both lakes will accept a fair bit of feed. Feed pellet (I use micros mainly) and fish expander (hard in Summer), maggot, pinkie, meat, corn and corn skin.
Thanks so much Neil I wasn't expecting a reply quite like that! I really appreciate you taking you time to reply to this. Honestly I'm just after some decent carp to get a good bend in my rods. Got back into fishing after during lockdown. (Not fished since a kid with my dad) got myself a cheap pole and was fishing Biggins at oundle. Hooked into a few 15+lb carp and that was it. I was hooked into catching them! Ill check out the Facebook page and probably take another walk around and see if anyone fancys a chat 🙂