Rigs

Silasfish

I am new to fishing but I'm hooked (sorry!). Not joined a club yet so I'm cutting my teeth on commercials. When I go I take a feeder rod set up with method feeder and a carp rod.
Rigs for method feeder seems to be universally agreed as a 4 inch hook length, but for carp fishing it appears there are so many rigs utilised, both in terms of length and style.
I've started to tie my own hook lengths and get a real kick from doing so, but my question is if I were to take a selection of rigs/hook lengths to help me to vary my tactics on the carp rod, what would you suggest I take along? Is it onne style with variation of bait, hair length etc or would you take a selection of styles?
Thanks in advance.

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
As above, if there’s not massive carp present I’d just go with the feeder rod. If you’re careful you’ll be able to handle Fish up to 19 - 21lb on a decent feeder rod, probably bigger. Personally, I’ve had an accidental cat of 32lb on a Drennan vertex feeder with no problems. As regards rigs simple is always best, method feeder, short hooklink and buried bait, of cage feeder, 10” - 12” hooklink will be better than some mad creation involving swivels, clips, poly balls and all sorts of other junk that’s the latest “guaranteed “ fishcatcher that the Facebook “experts” are raving about!

as in all things fishing, just remember, K.I.S.S!

rudd

Site Supporter
Stick with two rigs:
One for pop ups and one for bottom baits/ wafters.
Hook size - bait dependent.
Length of rig, start at 9 inches and drop an inch until you find length that works best on the water.
You may even get down to 4 inches!
For bottom baits would recommend the blow back rig How To | Korda

Silasfish

Thank you all. Great advice as usual. It looks like a matter of keeping it simple and learning a few rigs, which makes sense. Hard to see thhe wood for the trees sometimes with all the possible options so thanks Rudd for giving me a starter for 10, I'll take your advice.

squimp

Site Supporter
Great advice from Rudd.

Also think about tying a loop at the lead end of the rig and attaching the rig with a clip.

that way you have the option to slide a small PVA bag or stick onto the rig to stop tangles on the cast.

rudd

Site Supporter
For pop ups tie on a hook to coated braid using Palomar or grinner knot.
Thread on half an inch of shrink tube over the knot and the eye of the hook with about 5mm exteding onto hook.
Drop into boiling water until tube shrinks, take out and bend tube at about 45degress depending on bend already in hook, it will set quickly.
Thread a bait screw onto hook followed by a stop.
The stop needs to sit just about where hook bend ends but can be altered until hook.sits at around 45deg angle under pop up.
From shrink tube take off required amount of coating to match how high bait will be popped.
Put on just enough putty to pin rig down where coated meets uncoated.

If using loops as per squimp advice, thread on a rig sleeve that will pull back over connector/ swivel.
This acts as a boom and combined with coated braid helps kick rig away from lead and prevent tangles.

For pop ups I always put on a bit of rig foam so I can pull rig staight, set line and bobbins then fire a few offerings at it when it releases and floats to top.
With bottom baits prefer a small pva stocking bag or stringer.

Silasfish

The fisheries I go to don't allow braided line or hook lengths. Could I tie the blowback rig and other rigs using mono or flour or is there a reason that wouldn't work. Generally carp are max 15lb on the lakes I fish.

squimp

Site Supporter
Decent quality mono or Fluoro would make a perfectly good hooklink.

just to be awkward; if braided hooklinks are banned does that include coated braid ?

Silver fan 82

Don't get caught up in all the latest carp rigs. As @rudd says stick to a couple. For bottom baits a simple knot less knot with a hair rig works wonders. If you want to then check out the blowback rig, easy to tie and effective. For pop ups I would recommend a KD rig. Again easy to tie and effective.
Alot of the carp rigs you see are for big, really spooky carp that have seen it all before plus the fact that the companies that sell all the items needed for tying such rigs are trying to sell them to you. I spent quite a bit on carp terminal tackle and probably don't use half of it, should have spent the money on bait instead.

rudd

Site Supporter
Don't get caught up in all the latest carp rigs. As @rudd says stick to a couple. For bottom baits a simple knot less knot with a hair rig works wonders. If you want to then check out the blowback rig, easy to tie and effective. For pop ups I would recommend a KD rig. Again easy to tie and effective.
Alot of the carp rigs you see are for big, really spooky carp that have seen it all before plus the fact that the companies that sell all the items needed for tying such rigs are trying to sell them to you. I spent quite a bit on carp terminal tackle and probably don't use half of it, should have spent the money on bait instead.
DNA baits a good option ?