Rig needs tweaking

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I see size 18 hook mentioned, and I certainly won't use an 18 if fishing for Carp.

Carp attack

As long as I hook the fish in the mouth and it ends up in the net am not that fussed to be honest, ?

On plumbing up tho, just below halfway on the body, strung out shotting bout inch apart, when there proper nailing it then just a simple bulk on top of the hooklength, works for me ( yes me, works for me ) not saying that's the way everyone should do it, ?

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
Where does the OP mention fishing the margins.
Also @ukzero1 i fail to follow your train of thought on the hook or bait size.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Random old thread this, of course you’ll hook the majority of fish in the top lip as you strike upwards! If you get a few in the bottom lip or in the scissors maybe it was the angle of the strike or the way the fish picked the bait up but as long as you hook them does it really matter lol

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Where does the OP mention fishing the margins.
Also @ukzero1 i fail to follow your train of thought on the hook or bait size.

Then I will gladly tell you. my train of thought is that if you're margin fishing and targeting silvers, then Carp move in, the hook size and baits will change. The same if fishing the opposite way round if you get my drift.

notneeded

The 1st pie winner 2019
Site Supporter
Random old thread this, of course you’ll hook the majority of fish in the top lip as you strike upwards! If you get a few in the bottom lip or in the scissors maybe it was the angle of the strike or the way the fish picked the bait up but as long as you hook them does it really matter lol
[/QUOTE]
best opening two lines I've read for a long time ??

sampower

And that's their choice. but (to me) battling some 'briuser' on an 18 hook doesn't bode well.
Understandable sir, however this thread was not based on yourself, and I think the majority have taken this one ?

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Understandable sir, however this thread was not based on yourself, and I think the majority have taken this one ?

I know it's not about myself, I was just giving another take on what's already been mentioned.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
With the hooks it was with regard to this post

Yes, but doesn't it stand to reason that you'd use a different hook for different baits? As I tried to point out, you're there doing some silver bashing maybe an 18 and along come the carp. Doesn't it make sense to change hook/bait sizes?

sampower

Yes, but doesn't it stand to reason that you'd use a different hook for different baits? As I tried to point out, you're there doing some silver bashing maybe an 18 and along come the carp. Doesn't it make sense to change hook/bait sizes?
This is getting a bit drawn out now.
The point is, your opinion on an 18 may be slightly outdated as a lot of us use 18’s for Carp from the off. Being mindful that hook ‘sizes’ differ so much from brand to brand.. one mans 18 may be another’s 16’s, so on.
I think it may be that you made out that an 18’s for Carp was out the ordinary whereas with modern fishing it’s quite normal.. that’s all.