RIG LINE

GGJD69

Hi guys
During this bloody lockdown I’m gonna re do my pre tied rigs. I only fish rivers, Trent, Severn , Avon and Wye. My rigs are Stick floats, Avon and Bolo. 8 no 4 up to 10 gram. My question is simple.
what rig line should I use? 3-4lb for all? What make is best??
Thanks
GGJD

rudd

Site Supporter
Would recommend Drennan double strength for your rigs.
Which strength? 1/2 a pound lighter than your main line.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Something robust like daiwa senser in 0.22/0.24mm, I use this for my waggler rigs, 0.16mm mainline, water knot my 0.24mm senser to it, then knock my rig up on that, I do this at home obviously,, I don’t set any rigs up on the bank anymore, 👍👍👍

bricky72

Site Supporter
My rig line is daiwa tournament rig line in various diameter best I’ve used and lots of top anglers use it as I got put on to it by a few different blokes all swear by it

grey

Site Supporter
Most of mine are tied for a specific water/stretch so I'll know from experience if it needs 2.5lb to 3lb mainline, or 4 to 5 etc. Not practical to tie every variation you might need otherwise you'll be carrying too many rigs you'll probably never use! Decide the rigs you use the most in whatever strengths you expect for the river. My hooklengths are Stroft for river work, mainline is mostly drennan float.

dave brittain 1

I use Tubertini Gorilla Float fish in 0.165 dia for all my river rigs, (note it mics up at 0.15 and comes in 150 yd spools available on ebay). I don't take notice of the stated breaking strain, (5.56lbs), as it is thinner than some standard 3lbs lines.

Regarding low dia line, it needs to be durable due to moving shot about. I don't think there's a best as you will get different answers from different anglers so find something you're happy with and have confidence in.

My main float line for roach and dace with odd chub is usually 0.165 Gorilla. For out and out chub fishing I usually use 3 or 4lbs Maxima sprayed with line float but would set this up on the day so there is only one knot and that would be my hook length.

GGJD69

I’ve got DH PRO 4lb and 6lb as it’s low diameter on my reels so I’m guessing to use 3lb and 4lb on the ready made rigs. I add hooklengths on the bank.
regarding Mike Atkinsons comments. Do you Pre tie waggler rigs? How do you do that?

richox12

Why not use the same then ? The hooklength will break first and the float will be pushed up above the joining knot.