Rig length

powerpack

I am just starting pole fishing. What length of line do you leave between the float and the tip of your pole?

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I would start at 18 - 24 Inches until you get used to handling the pole, you can always shorten them later. You will find a couple of back-shot between the pole float and the pole useful, I use two no 8 stotz.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
All depends on conditions and fishery rules. The better the conditions the shorter the length of line, or "lash" as some refer to it as.

I find that with a short lash I strike less violently and thus can get the rig settled back more quickly if the fish is not hooked.

You may want a longer lash in windy conditions so the pole tip does not pull on the float when buffeted. There are times you may want to use a long lash so the pole isn't over the fish's head or you want to reach a spot just beyond the pole's length. I would always go as short as you are comfortable with. It is amazing though how shortening the lash can speed up the time from bite to strike and increasing the percentage of bites hit.

Then there are fishery rules to consider. Decoy has a 12 inch rule (that I think many conveniently forget). But when cutting down to the minimum length allowed you don't give yourself leeway for increasing the depth from hook to float. Sometimes necessary when feeding fish hollow out the bottom.

So with many things in angling there is no one definitive correct answer.

powerpack

Thank you. Very informative answers.
But how do you prepare rigs when you have no idea of the depth of the swim that you are going to fish e.g. in a match.
Do you make up several rigs of different length to keep in your box, or do you make up suitable rigs on the river bank on the day.( Not a nice job on a windy wet day)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter

Deejay8

Site Supporter
If you are fishing commercials, you can probably make your rigs to the length of your topkit, including the hooklength.This will cover the usual 3 to 6ft deep swims that are typical of these waters. If you are going to be fishing deeper venues, then you can make up longer rigs maybe top kit plus one or two sections in length. When you get to the venue, you will probably have some rough idea of depth, so select your rig, attach and unwind it, and plump up the depth accurately with a plummet, and set the float depth. Also note the type of bottom, such as hard gravel or soft and silty if possible. Now you look at how much line you have between the float and the tip of the pole. Decide on the length that you want and if you have too much, take the rig off the connector, cut the line above the float to the length you want, plus enough line to tie a new loop, and then tie the loop and reattach it. Then mark the depth on the topkit with tippex or a band on the pole. This will be a reference if you need to make adjustments to the depth, or you have to add a new hooklength.