Rig length and extending rigs.

Total

Site Supporter
Tie a rig the full length of your top kit whether that's a 2 piece or match top 3.
Starting with an 18cm winder put the rig on and count the number of turns round the winder. If it comes to say 7.5 complete turns then write it down on a piece of paper.
Do the same with your next section added and write it down on a piece of paper.
If you have some longer floats that need a longer winder like a 20 or 22cm winder do exactly the same and write it down on a piece of paper.
I think you can see where we're going here.
Counting in arms lengths is daft. You could be built like Peter dinklage or Peter crouch!
You've done all this before, ain't ya?;)(y)

Marker50

Site Supporter
Tie a rig the full length of your top kit whether that's a 2 piece or match top 3.
Starting with an 18cm winder put the rig on and count the number of turns round the winder. If it comes to say 7.5 complete turns then write it down on a piece of paper.
If you have some longer floats that need a longer winder like a 20 or 22cm winder do exactly the same and write it down on a piece of paper.
Counting in arms lengths is daft. You could be built like Peter dinklage or Peter crouch!
Like that idea mate.
Suits my ocd also

Total

Site Supporter
I do all sorts of sad things mark...I have a chart compiled with top kit lengths up to top 6's with all sizes of winder. I've been known to be on the lawn at 2.30am clipping rods up on the sticks. Most of my pole repairs end up being wrapped at about 4am.
It ain't sad at all, behave! ;) ......It's called 'being organised'.....The reasons why we are good at what we do....End of...;)(y)

Last edited:

Marker50

Site Supporter
Sorry ocd.does that include lash lenth

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Get a bit of half inch ply, around a foot wide and eight foot long, a length of three eigths dowel, a good thin chisel point marker pen, tape, a cordless drill and make up a rig board

set the pegs at whatever length you want the rig to be mine are set every 6 inches, if you want them longer than 8ft just wind around the end peg and back to wherever you need it,

baggy

Mark Saunders
I made some 3g rigs yesterday that were 26 turns of my winders which is about 6m

Nicky Dodds

Sorry mate.
I ment when putting on winder
If the rig you tie is 7.5 turns round your winder that you've tied for your top kit then that's what it is. If you plumb up and the swim is too deep for you to use that rig then you need a longer rig obviously.

Marker50

Site Supporter
Got ya mate.
Funny how 2 glasses of red blurs things.
Like the colour idea to determine lenth.
Thanks for help.
Much sorting to do .but plenty of time.

RMNDIL

I do exactly this. Then I can make up new rigs without ever having any sections or kits in the house and just count turns on winder. They'll all be exactly the same. Plus I drill a hole at the opposite end of the winder to the original hook position so I can put 2 rigs on the winder top & tail (I keep 2 rigs on each winder anyway unless they're big fat 3g, 4g floats) for those occasions when I know exactly what I will be doing next day and I want to put hooklengths already on.

Nicky Dodds

I do exactly this. Then I can make up new rigs without ever having any sections or kits in the house and just count turns on winder. They'll all be exactly the same. Plus I drill a hole at the opposite end of the winder to the original hook position so I can put 2 rigs on the winder top & tail (I keep 2 rigs on each winder anyway unless they're big fat 3g, 4g floats) for those occasions when I know exactly what I will be doing next day and I want to put hooklengths already on.
Plus it means you get more rigs on a winder tray 👍