rig for paste fishing for F1s and skimmers

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris grant

Going to fish a water where paste is going well for F1's and skimmers.

I think I need to be a bit more refined than my usual carp approach which is big lump of paste, size 10 hook and 0.18 straight through.

I suspect I need small pieces on a 16 but would be interesting what others use like float types, do you fish dead depth, do you still use the paste to set the float" - bit difficult to do it with small pieces of paste rather than the golf ball sizes I usually use

slf

NUFC
I have had good success with f1s on paste, i fisjhed a match at one place and every fish i had on the paste lines were f1's. My float choice is malmans F1 paste, they are a sensative float but are great to indicate lines bites on. My mainline will be 0.11 0.12 or 0.13 depending on the lake i'm fishing, use a good robust rig line such as powerline or silstar though. I use a 4 x 12 or 4 x 16, the latter if conditions arent great and there is a strong tow on the water. my shotting is a simple bulk around 12 inches from the hook. My hook pattern is a size 16 b911 will a 5p size piece of paste. Elastic is doulbed up no.6 with a preston pulla kit. This is soft on the strike and i have yet to bump any f1's off with however you will be able to hook a bonus carp and land without a problem.

My paste is simply scalded micro pellets which i do the night before, i tend to a slightly stiffer paste when fishing for f1's. Tjhis paste is the best i have used for f1's and i fieed with micros which is exactly what you are fishing. kick start the swim with micros and afew lumps of paste and introduce afew micro through a toss pot when you ship out.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

dai

chris i have been fishing morgans quite a lot lately and will be there again tomorrow and i have been fishing pretty big lumps of paste on a 12/14 hook and it has not made any diffrence it seems to get the bigger of the f1,s and tidy size skimmers

chris grant

Cheers Dai, its morgans that I was talking about so great, thanks, cant wait to fish it, how did you get on today

dai

hi chris fished peg 40 today stayed off the paste today and fished pellett had about 40/45lb all small carp only fished for 4 hours probably should have mixed some paste up it seems to get you the bigger fish but i did not have much time today let me know how you get on

antihero

In the margins I tend to use the lightest float possible, at least 4 inches overdepth (dead depth gives too many liner in the margins imo), and just watch the float sail away when the paste is taken. Had a very quick session today and best fish was a 10lb common using this tactic although I had to scale down from my usual 0.19 straight through to a 10 mt4 hook to 0.14 with 14 mt4.

Last edited:

chris grant

agree with that anti hero. Dai fished woodstock - didnt do too well - roached out on paste - method feeder didnt produce much either - 15lb

dai

hi chris
never mind mate there will be better days if you are still thinking of joining newport we can arrange to meet up i live close to the ponds and seem to be fishing them a lot more these days weather it be match or pleasure fishing

chris grant

nice one Dai. I have paid the money and joined. Good old Gareth Hawkins has got the key for Morgans for me - so yes the newport waters will have to put up with me a lot from now on. Hoping to fish Morgans on Friday - afternoon onwards

Status
Not open for further replies.