Rice Pudding?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Was I having my leg pulled today when a clubmate said people have been catching by feeding tinned rice pudding (not in the tin before the smart-alecks comment)?

Luckyluca

I would imagine its similar to condensed milk but with a higher (rice) feed content.
Sounds plausible, not that I've tried it

thedoggler

I've used rice as feed before, but flavoured with Indian spices. I can't see why rive pudding wouldn't do a job on some venues.

Oldmech

Site Supporter
Now I love rice pudding sod giving it to the fish[:)] you will find a lot of leg pulling and bum info in fishing so take it with a pinch of salt (I prefer sugar) and don't go down the route of chasing so called magic baits and feeds.
Mind you in this hot weather fish might like an ice cream to cool em down[8D]

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
You have obviously not read many of my posts. I too advocate against chasing magic baits. But you do have to have an open mind and be prepared to try something new/different - boilies and pellets being two fairly recent innovations that have worked.

Oldmech

Site Supporter
O/K mate fair enough, now boilies you feed em, you fish em same with pellets but what are you going to put on your hook when feeding rice pudding?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Maggot.

OK Here's the full story. Fished Bucko's charity open on Shearsby (Alder) Saturday and had one fish. Lad three pegs from me had 39lb for third. I asked what he had caught on as many struggled (Pole Addict sitting between us also had 1 fish) - reply "maggot over rice".

I thought that meant savoury rice. On Sunday I asked if anyone in my club had heard of anyone else doing this. Apparently there has been an article by Dean Jones in a magazine stating he has been using tinned rice pudding mixed with condensed milk.

So I thought I would check this out on here.

Last edited:

Oldmech

Site Supporter
Well, never heard of this before, possibly because as you describe the fishing as very hard a different bait being fed was enough to get the fish interested. May not work as well if a bagging session was on the cards but well done that man for getting a result.

CaptainPugwash

Account Locked
If you are gonna use rice pudding, make sure you put a dollop of jam in the middle; preferably raspberry although strawberry will do.

Don't use damson or apricot; it's bogging and will clear your swim.

Pugwash.

SevernTraveller

When carp fishing we have been using condensed milk,liquidised sweetcorn and liquidised maize flakes for years.
It leaves a nice sweet cloudy slick in the water - works better on clearer waters as it is very visual

Be prepared to fish up in the water though as in the summer the carp will actively search it out when it hits the water

Bream love it in groundbait as well

Loads of articles on the web showing liquids being pole cupped in

cjsid

My youngest won a match 3 weeks ago feeding rice with condensed milk added with 182lb wont tell you what he's using on the hook but I wouldn't of thought of it and he frames regularly in opens using it . Must add it don't work every where lol .

Col7777

I wouldn't knock it, I sometimes use cuscus flavoured with different things and caught fish, after all it is an attractor, obviously you don't/can't put it on the hook but put a few particles of your hook bait in with it I can see it working.

SpiderWebb

Spider.
Site Supporter
Be carefull with rice pudding, rice is very filling which is why some countries use it to bolster up a meal like we use potatoes, but the milk does make a nice cloud in clear water.
tankie63.

craigmc1983

Would you use straight out the tin or maybe liquidise it first? (stupid question as already quite runny?)

just thinking wouldn't want them to fill up on the rice and would make more of a cloud?

colinT

Life member
I use tinned Macaroni cheese, and have bagged up sometimes when everyone else has struggled on our local.
Try it ... you will be suprised. [:)]