Reviews/advice on top end 11-12ft Feeder rods- 50mtr chuck into larger canals for bream

Nicky Dodds

Aire and Calder is 54 yds wide at Rawcliffe (accurately measured from tin to tin). I will want to use it on other waters at 50yds or some deep venues. Hence the desire for it to be able to chuck 50yds. I've got rods for 35yds.
Which peg is 54 yards wide at rawcliffe?

Badger61

The wides. Just after the parking area to the right of the Sugar Mill ponds. That's what it showed on my golf laser rangefinder and it's accurate to a yard. I was bored and walking the dog.
I don't want to chuck onto the far bank obviously, but is answers the question of where is a canal 50yds wide.

Nicky Dodds

Last year I had two draws on the wides, peg 38 and peg 52. Both were 44 metres wide. Sunday I was on 90 the other side of the motorway bridge and that was exactly the same. I measured it on measuring sticks and was on braid so it was pretty accurate. I also allowed for the metre between my reel and the near bank. You ought to try fishing to the tins as there can be quite a few fish to be had. Does the width of the canal vary much between rawcliffe bridge and sugar mills?
I usually had it at 36m but have never drawn within 10 pegs of the bridge.

Badger61

I can only tell you what my Bushnell laser range finder told me. I've used the same device for about 8/9yrs for golf and it's accurate to a yard normally. Unless the water distorted it in some way, but I don't think it would. Stood on the edge of the tins and measured straight across to the tins shows 54yds just past the parking area on the wides. Can't remember the peg number. It's 40yds at Rawcliffe Bridge around peg 3 ish. It's 38-40yds at Pollington on the wider parts.

Total

Site Supporter
Last year I had two draws on the wides, peg 38 and peg 52. Both were 44 metres wide. Sunday I was on 90 the other side of the motorway bridge and that was exactly the same. I measured it on measuring sticks and was on braid so it was pretty accurate. I also allowed for the metre between my reel and the near bank. You ought to try fishing to the tins as there can be quite a few fish to be had. Does the width of the canal vary much between rawcliffe bridge and sugar mills?
I usually had it at 36m but have never drawn within 10 pegs of the bridge.

Reads like your measuring stick need re calibrating mate....:oops:;)

Badger61

I think we're close enough with the yds/mtrs that it doesn't matter. More important than the measuring, what rod were you using Nicky?

Nicky Dodds

I use either a matrix horizon XC 3.6m with a 2oz tip or a matrix horizon s-class 3.6m with a similar tip. The s-class is an older rod and a tad softer. 20gr guru Xchange cage feeder or 15gr home made weight forward feeder. That was with no or little wind. Last year with a breeze I used a 30gr guru and the XC 3.6 was slightly better.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
these wide places you all mention,

surely they are boat pools, wharves, loading dock areas, turning areas

not standard canals,

baggy

Mark Saunders
these wide places you all mention,

surely they are boat pools, wharves, loading dock areas, turning areas

not standard canals,
The lime kilns is a turning bay but it is a 15 peg area and the rest of the canal is between 35-45m wide

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I do wonder as to a fair few of the built canals are unsuitable for wide beam narrowboats, which are typically over the standard width of the more common narrowboat width beam of 7ft, the widebeam goes up to 10 to 12ft

and a canal has to be wide enough in the navigable depth for two boats to pass,

assuming that even on the wider canals that take the larger boats, thats 2 x 12ft plus a gap betweenthem 2ft ? and the margins each side another 4 to 5 ft, which gives us a sum of around 36 ft ish ?

richox12

I do wonder as to a fair few of the built canals are unsuitable for wide beam narrowboats, which are typically over the standard width of the more common narrowboat width beam of 7ft, the widebeam goes up to 10 to 12ft

and a canal has to be wide enough in the navigable depth for two boats to pass,

assuming that even on the wider canals that take the larger boats, thats 2 x 12ft plus a gap betweenthem 2ft ? and the margins each side another 4 to 5 ft, which gives us a sum of around 36 ft ish ?

Typical small canals I fish & have fished can be 13m wide at least (some narrower, many wider) and so that'd be 43ft at least. But, the shelves either side are very shallow and so boats would bottom out. The Gloucester and New Junctions are the 2 biggest I have fished here.

Nicky Dodds

There are various wide sections on the aire and calder canal and also some huge sand barges that travel up and down. I think these wides are used as some sort of cushion to absorb the swell when the barges are full and more of the hull is underwater therefore causing more water displacement. Southfield reservoir has two cut throughs into the canal which act like a pressure relief valve. When the big girls go past there's a surge of water pushed in that reverses when they have passed. I may be wrong though...