Reviews/advice on top end 11-12ft Feeder rods- 50mtr chuck into larger canals for bream

Badger61

Looking at the new kids on the block really. Shimano X7 or X5, Free Spirit Hi-S (12ft Feederlite if they are out.) Map Black edition or Daiwa Tournament Pro 12ft. I feel a bit under-gunned at 11ft, but they quickly step into power feeder rods at 12ft. Which are a bit heavy for this work. Somewhere in between with 1.5-2oz tips. Does anyone have anything new that they adore?

nejohn

Site Supporter
Tr-cast 4 x 4 ultra light, I don't have the new version but I do have the original one and I have handled the new one which feels brilliant, probably the most versatile feeder rod around as long as you are not wanting to chuck big feeders to extreme distances then it will do everything you ask of it, and don't let the Ultra light tag fool you there is plenty of hidden power in the blank the tag refers more to the weight of the rod than the action. I would never discount Tri-cast when looking for a feeder rod they really do know what they are talking about....plus you get the knowledge if anything does go wrong you have probably the best aftersales service out there and you know if you do need any spares down the line that they will be available

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Just out of interest mate,

What canal needs a 50 metre chuck ?
Exactly what l was thinking Mick, Holland or Germany maybe. The Gloucester is a fair old canal but nothing an 11ft cant cope with....... from distant memory mind.

baldpaul

Site Supporter
There are a few pegs on the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation where it splits to become the New Junction and the Stainforth and Keadby that are over 70 yards wide but that’s exceptional.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Looking for a similar rod myself for later in the year and think I'm set on going for a Browning Sphere.

Simon R

Site Supporter
12' Acolyte Ultra is a lovely bream rod
But 50m is probably a little beyond it's comfort zone - it will chuck a feeder that distance but I'd be reaching for a different tool - probably my geriatric 12' IM8 Superfeeder - still the best all-round feeder rod I've used.
If you want one rod to do everything scour ebay for a decent example.

Simon

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
11'6 Cast'izm, nice and soft action for the smaller fish, distance ringing hit 50 yards easily.