Returning o fishing after 15 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunk79

First off, hi to everyone, been reading around the forums, and joined up, as it seems like a helpful place!

Right O, firstly, I have not been fishing a very long time, and I am pretty much a beginner! I used to fish a little with my granddad when I was about 12/13, but I have not done any for 15 years! Then, last night on a rare day off work (royal mail strike!) I decided to get out my granddads old fishing gear that he had left me when he passed away, and go down the river!

Got a few Roach, a couple of nice Perch and a decent size lovely golden Rudd!

The river was peaceful, the sky golden at sunset, birds singing, bats buzzing, it was great, and I really loved it! I can remember when I was at school and all I could think about was the weekend and going out fishing! I never caught much, but I enjoyed it, and now I have the bug again!

Now, if no one minds, i would like to ask some advice! (but go easy, since I was fishing last, there seems to be a whole new world of words, terms and kit, and I don't know it all!)

I live in Norwich, So i have the Rivers Wensum and Yare on my doorstep, as well as some nice lakes. I really like the idea of fishing for Chub in the rivers, so any tips on that sort of fishing would be good! Also i fancy a bit of tench on the lakes! What bats, lines hook etc. are recommended?

I have seen mentioned here people using slugs to catch chub, and using a method called "freelining". Now, don't want to sound dim, but is that as simple as it sounds? Nothing on the line except the hook and slug? How would you know if you got the bite? What line and hook size would be recommended? Any and all advice would be much appreciated!

I have two rods, by the way, a 13ft float rod and a 10ft ledger rod with a selection of quiver/swing tips, so i can fish with float or feeder, what would be best for chub and/or tench?

Sorry to ask so much in one go, but I aint proud! If you don't ask you never find out!!

Cheers,

Duncan

midgetchris

Team Trinders 08
right,
Baits: Boilies, if you are unfamiliar with boilies they are boiled balls of paste that are hard and need to be hair rigged and are a good bait for thiongs such as carp tench and bream.
there are the 'Supermarket Baits' which are breaad, corn and luncheon meat which work well for mostly anything which swims
then theres the natural baits such as worms maggots and slugs.
i carry most of these baits with me on any session.
Lines, i swear by ultima power plus for most of my fishing and TFG Red Mist.
Hooks:ESP Raptors for big fish and Drennan Carp Match for anything else or kamasan animals, if you need any more advice drop me a PM

pelly

The Lincoln Imp!
Dont forget your licence though, wouldnt want all that gear taken off you if you get caught without one

Well done for getting back on the bank, I bet your granddad is proud of you that you got back on

Dunk79

don't worry, i got a 1 day licence, as i didn't know if i would enjoy it or be any good, but now i know i love it again, I'm getting a full licence ASAP!! don't like not having a licence, you gotta support what you like doing!

midge99

first welcome to the site, and back to the sport.

To start I would keep things simple and ease yourself back in, It sounds like you will have a few days off work in the next few weeks.
chub are greedy fish and will eat almost anything, start with the simple baits maggot, caster and worm, these will give you a chance of almost anything that swims.
I would start with maggot or caster on the hook using a maggot feeder, if you get a chub change and try a full lob worm on a size 8 hook.

good luck

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I've introduced a few new anglers to the sport, and the biggest problem seems to be getting the hang of feeding.

On a river, if you don't feed, you'll probably catch one of two fish which are already in your swim, then struggle.

Put in 20 or so maggots slightly upstream every cast, and you'll draw fish upstream, competing for your loosefeed. On a slow river, it can pay to feed again when your floats halfway down your swim.

I always start feeding as soon as I arrive at a swim, before tackling up. It can take up to an hour to get them going properly, but sooner or later they will arrive.

Usually. [;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.