Returning items to shops

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
I bought my mum a leather purse for Christmas and forgot she is vegan so doesn't use animal products, I went into the shop today and explained my error and asked for a refund and was told I was not entitled to one only store credit which I wasn't interested in, It was a small craft goods type shop and I pushed my case at which point the owner started to look at the purse and was saying people return goods that they never bought and try to return them for cash, I felt a little insulted and became quite stern refusing anything but my money back which I eventually got but the owner was annoyed though not hostile.

What is your opinion on these situations was I wrong to feel entitled to a refund? I really hate these situations and had been dreading taking it back as I thought I might find myself in a confrontation,
thoughts??

brian carragher

Site Supporter
To be frank, you were lucky

The shop was under no obligation to give you a refund as there was nothing wrong with the product, you just inadvertantley bought a present for someone which wasnt appropriate to the recipient, legally the shop could have refused to offer anything, the offer of a credit note was one they didnt have to make and to give you your money back was a result for you that legally they were under no obligation to do

Dusty

You were lucky they were generous and refunded you. Most high street shops nowadays operate with the same policy and are very strict with it, I can’t blame them either.
It’s nothing personal against the person bringing it back but they have to protect themselves against people trying to con them.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
If the roles were reversed and someone had bought something of you, what would you have done?

Dusty

If its within a month I would give them a refund.

Might be better to re-phrase that..

If you’d been scammed numerous times by people bringing back incorrect or fake items would you then still give them their money back?

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
Might be better to re-phrase that..

If you’d been scammed numerous times by people bringing back incorrect or fake items would you then still give them their money back?

I don't think its something he should be telling customers really and maybe they need to look into better ways to track there products, each customer should be treated like they are honest and not feel accused

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Hate confrontation like that. Being a small shop can kind of see their point but at least you got your money back so well done.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
There's also a cost involved to the shop for every refund, not only in time processing the item but most card suppliers charge the store a fee to refund, I think it used to be 75p per transaction.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
To be honest as it wasn't faulty, the item was as advertised/described and was fit for purpose they didn't have to refund you or give you a credit note, the fault was yours not theirs!

Some places now refuse to refund unless you can provide a reciept and prove the way you paid.

Our local B&Q had a problem with the bagheads from the local shelter taking stuff they'd nicked in and trying to get a "refund" because they'd been bought it as a present but they'd already got one etc... then they started hanging around waiting for people to leave and drop their reciepts, they'd pick up the reciept, then go and nick the item from somewhere and take it back with the reciept to get a refund so now the store asks you not to drop your reciepts or to make sure they are ripped up before putting them in the bins!

Dusty

I don't think its something he should be telling customers really and maybe they need to look into better ways to track there products, each customer should be treated like they are honest and not feel accused

I think it’s a more than reasonable response and a more than reasonable policy. If he had just refused to refund and given no reason you would be equally upset.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I bought my mum a leather purse for Christmas and forgot she is vegan so doesn't use animal products, I went into the shop today and explained my error and asked for a refund and was told I was not entitled to one only store credit which I wasn't interested in, It was a small craft goods type shop and I pushed my case at which point the owner started to look at the purse and was saying people return goods that they never bought and try to return them for cash, I felt a little insulted and became quite stern refusing anything but my money back which I eventually got but the owner was annoyed though not hostile.

What is your opinion on these situations was I wrong to feel entitled to a refund? I really hate these situations and had been dreading taking it back as I thought I might find myself in a confrontation,
thoughts??

Put simply, you entered into a contract to buy the purse. You were not misled (you bought what you thought was and indeed was a leather purse) or sold goods "not suitable for purpose". Thus you were not entitled to ask for the contract to be voided or set aside. You got what you paid for.

Of course you were wrong to think you were entitled to a refund. What did the retailer do wrong? The error was all yours.

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
Put simply, you entered into a contract to buy the purse. You were not misled (you bought what you thought was and indeed was a leather purse) or sold goods "not suitable for purpose". Thus you were not entitled to ask for the contract to be voided or set aside. You got what you paid for.

Of course you were wrong to think you were entitled to a refund. What did the retailer do wrong? The error was all yours.

A bit of common sense wouldn't go a miss