Returning Fisherman

haemogoblin

Hello there, thought I'd introduce myself. Been lurking around and finally decided to register an account.

So after a 20 year hiatus, I've decided it's time to throw the rod bag over my shoulder, find a peg and drown some maggots. I started out fishing as a kid in about 87', father was an avid fisherman and helped me get in to the hobby. Mostly to local club run ponds, some commercial and the occasional match. I never really got along with matches, was more my fathers thing, as I never enjoyed the pressure and to be honest I was never THAT competent an angler, that I could pull out 10+ fish in a few hours.

Over the years wanted to take up the hobby again, even if nothing else than to get my father out the house, but sadly could never seem to get him motivated, then he was diagnosed with dementia and I became his full time carer. Which put a scupper on being away from the house, let alone doing any fishing. Just before Christmas he went in a home and the other half raised the suggestion I take up fishing, as the past 5 years have been physically and emotionally draining. As luck would have it a friend of mine is an avid angler and offered to drag me out to a pond, which was great, given how rusty I was :LOL:

I started back up last month and it's been a blast, been three times thus far and boy have I enjoyed it. I wasn't entirely sure how I was going to feel the first time out on the bankside, as I associate fishing with spending time with my father. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a moment, especially as I was using one of my fathers old DAM rods on the first day. But within the first 20min's, I'd hooked a 7lb carp and the day continued in much the same fashion, catching several decent fish. Part of me could just hear him over my shoulder, saying "You know you caught that on my rod and my reel, so technically that's my fish!"

Anyways hope that's not too boring an introduction, look forward to being part of the forum :)

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum and welcome back to a time consuming and expensive (or it can be) hobby.

haemogoblin

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to a time consuming and expensive (or it can be) hobby.
Thanks! Between my tackle and my father's, I'm not doing too bad for gear..So the most expensive things I've been buying are tins of sweet corn and pellet's. Still not sure if I'm sold on them pellets, yet to catch anything with them. But I'm assured carp love them 😉

haemogoblin

Welcome to our forum.....Pull up a chair, enjoy a cuppa tea and join in....(y).....Plenty of folk here are in/have been in your situation carer wise and fishing is the perfect antidote....Enjoy....
Thanks Mark! At first, I think I was worried how I'd be that first time, sitting on the bank side. The last 4 years have been tough and the past 18 months have been hell. Mother was diagnosed with cancer last March and died in November, all the while, I was looking after my father, so you don't really get a moment to stop of process things. But other half was right on the money, getting out the house and fishing was exactly what I needed. With dementia you spend a lot of time focusing on whats been lost and it can be hard to remember how things used to be. Sitting there on the bank using my fathers old fishing gear to catch some carp, stirred up a lot of happy memories and while it was a little emotional initially, it's been good for the soul and my head.

Though I do feel like a man out of time, especially as I went shopping for a new rod bag and discovered they don't make them like they used too. Now it's all quiver bags and pre-rigged setups, with reels attached to the rod in the bag. The fella in the shop looked at me strange when I said I was after a 12ft bag for 4-5 tubes, without the silly bulge for the reels half way down. I ended up resorting to fleabay, as the stuff I'm used to fishing with is now classed as "vintage" oh eck! :LOL:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Welcome aboard fella. Just enjoy settling back into your fishing, you certainly don't need all the latest kit to get back into it and there's no finer way to relax and let the weight lift off your shoulders for a few hours. ;)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum and back to fishing.

With all modesty I have a fairly well received blog that may be of interest. Have a look and see if any topics are of interest/help. Though it is mainly aimed at pole fishing there may be a few ideas that you can use.

As far as rod holdalls go there are plenty of options for plain, straight holdalls. The following link is just one I have found with a quick search.

For lots of suggestions try posting a request with a thread title something like "Suggestions Needed for a 4-6 tube holdall".

But you will not find one 12ft long :)

ravey

Welcome back! I’m definitely a bit ‘retro’. I think you’ll find all you need on eBay, and I have found it helpful for all those obsolete items. Enjoy your return to this marvellous pastime👍

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Welcome buddy, great place to unwind and some good advice as well.👍

John Step

Site Supporter
Welcome back to angling.
As to your Dads dementia and lack of motivation, my Dad was the most keen bird watcher you could imagine. To the point of obsession. Once dementia took hold he had no interest in it.
Being out on the bank , I bet your woes evaporate.

satinet

I had a break from fishing from the late 90s to about 2014. I was a bit skeptical about pellets when I came back but honestly they are an excellent bait.

Don't go off, easy to store, cheap and catch loads of fish. 2mm micros on the method feeder have caught me so many fish.

haemogoblin

But you will not find one 12ft long :)
Sorry, I was getting myself a little muggled there. I have a 12ft two part rod, which when dismantled still stands a good two inches clear of my rod bag, I worked out that i needed a rod bag that was at least 180cm tall. Which I eventually found on ebay a few months back and nabbed myself an old, but decent condition Diawa rod bag. Enough room for 4 tubs and all my other kit and kaboodal :)

haemogoblin

I had a break from fishing from the late 90s to about 2014. I was a bit skeptical about pellets when I came back but honestly they are an excellent bait.

Don't go off, easy to store, cheap and catch loads of fish. 2mm micros on the method feeder have caught me so many fish.
I have some 3mm, which I'm attaching to the hook with a band. Though I understand another method is to drill a tiny hole through them and slip them directly on the hook

John Step

Site Supporter
I have some 3mm, which I'm attaching to the hook with a band. Though I understand another method is to drill a tiny hole through them and slip them directly on the hook
I think 3mm is a bit small to drill. If banding works for you then thats the way to go. The other thing that works well is that method with quick stops that you use with softer baits. Bound to be a video on the tube.

Griffo

Site Supporter
Welcome aboard, fishing tends to hold great childhood memories for most of us, passed down by dads and grandads, once you get the bug you are stuck with it for life lol.

haemogoblin

I think 3mm is a bit small to drill. If banding works for you then thats the way to go. The other thing that works well is that method with quick stops that you use with softer baits. Bound to be a video on the tube.
Can't say I'm familiar with quick stops. I've only tried the bands for the first time last week, I wasn't 100% confident about it if I'm honest. I ended up sticking some sweet corn on my hook as nothing was biting.

haemogoblin

Welcome back! I’m definitely a bit ‘retro’. I think you’ll find all you need on eBay, and I have found it helpful for all those obsolete items. Enjoy your return to this marvellous pastime👍
Well my most recent gear is at least 15 years old. The tackle I've been using since I started back up, is my fathers old DAM Fighter rod and a Shakespeare reel, I've just fixed up a 2280-40, which I'm planning to use next time I go out on the bank.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Hello and welcome, good to see someone coming back into the sport.

Old kit is still as good for catching fish as the new gear is - all of my gear is sourced form eBay, FB, charity shops or fellow drowners and I cannot complain about my catches for a second.

Hope you get a bit of pressure relief from your carer role when you are on the bank - tight lines.

satinet

Can't say I'm familiar with quick stops. I've only tried the bands for the first time last week, I wasn't 100% confident about it if I'm honest. I ended up sticking some sweet corn on my hook as nothing was biting.
I didn't know you could get 3mm to be honest. I've never used ones that small as a hook bait.
Hard pellets aren't fished as much on the waggler as a hook bait as they are on the pole or feeder/bomb I would say. I tend to use 4, 6 or 8mm which is pretty standard I guess.