Returning back to the bank.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Good evening all hope you are all well and given the current (declining again) situation keeping yourselves busy and a roof above your heads. Firstly a little about myself.
I'm getting old... I coarse fished for many years as a boy in Wharfedale, fishing the Wharfe for river and Knotford Nook for stillwater. All my summer was spent between the two disciplines for many years using hand me down gear and home made floats. Suddenly life happened and I was thrust into the realms of wife, kids, mortgage and motorbikes. The latter being as much a passion as fishing as a kid.
I lived in South Wales for many years and picked up fly fishing which I truly enjoy but my body now complains if I'm chest high in the Wharfe so I have decided to take up Coarse again.
Last weekend I grabbed my old box out of my parents garage and realised that my old Intrepid reels and split cane rod really are due an update and duly headed to Bobco in Leeds.
Several hundred pounds later I am now with trepidation heading out for my first day on a lake in 35 years. Mushroom lakes is where I am heading, armed with a Shakespear 13' match Agility2 for float that I have cast on the grass only and a Garbolino 10' picker feeder rod. I have been gifted a couple of more modern reels filled with new Maxima Chameleon in different weights and Stroft ABR for the hooklength. Why these 2 choices? They have held me well in my fly fishing so as the old adage goes "Better the devil you know".
Bait is a whole new world! Pellets!? Rubber bands that attach them to the hook? Sweetcorn , maggots and luncheon meat was all I had (if i could afford them) back in the day!

So with trepidation and excitement I await the sleepless night before my first foray out in 35 years.
Wish me tight lines!!
Munchy

JayD

Welcome to the forum.
I must admit that I had to google 'Mushroom Ponds' I'd never heard of it.
I'm from Leeds and fish the Wharfe fairly regularly, from Pool down to Tadcaster. I've had some good tench along with decent perch and roach, out of the Leeds 'lagoon' at Knotford. I also have access to the small Ilkley water next to the other 'lagoon' (run by Bradford No1), through my membership of Wetherby AC, not fished it yet but it's supposed to be a decent mixed water.
Don't worry about the changes in baits etc, the only fish that have changed are those in the managed overstocked 'commercial' waters. I still use the 'old' baits, and they all still work.
You've plenty of water to go at around the area, enjoy it.

John. (who already got old)

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Tight lines it is- with pleasure btw. Unlike you I did not start participating in fishing until I had passed my mid 30s. Even so pellets to me before this were just something that rabbits produced regularly and sometimes ate. I started course (and some carp for a while) fishing as a form of relaxation at weekends. I still find it very relaxing, but having retired, I can now pick which day of the week to go and avoid busy weekends if I so choose

I often wonder, If like many here, I would have become a successful match angler. I certainly enjoyed competing in football, swimming, and shooting when I was younger, but I think it would have given me a different perspective on this subject as a sport rather than a hobby.

Enjoy once again.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum Munch. I can understand your excitement at getting bankside again, I returned to fishing after 30 years away and was blown away, by how light fishing rods had become, Good luck on your new (old) adventure. (y)

BTMS

Site Supporter
Welcome back to peace, sanity and hopefully tight lines(y)

Total

Site Supporter
Welcome to Maggotdrowning Munch and back to angling.....Enjoy....(y)

Method Man

Welcome Munch! Enjoy the forum! Good bunch on here helpful and sarcastic Lol. Tight lines, wish I could fish again been laid up since Xmas Terminal C but always brighten my day reading this and never read so many books on fishing but only seems to make me realise what I’m missing if only I could muster the strength to go.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Welcome back to this fabulous sport.

Wouldn’t worry too much about all the shiny new baits and kit as maggots and sweet corn will still catch plenty to get you started back into your groove - tight lines mate.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Welcome Munchy, hope that you enjoy your return to the fold.
The tackle may have changed but the fish remain the same. The baits and tactics which were part of your youth will still catch them.
Let us know how you get on and don't be afraid to ask any questions that arise from your initial trips back to the bank. :upthumb:

Stufish

Welcome back to fishing, I recently started back and found my first trip to the tackle shop quite daunting but here (and YouTube) are your friends.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Thank you all for your very kind words of support. I really do appreciate all your replies!
So yesterday was the big day. It was my neighbour that talked me back into going out again, well not so much talked me into it but rekindled the interest. He does a pensioners match every Wednesday and the more we talked the more I wanted to get back out. A date was set to fish the same lake (Mushroom) the day after the match and I set about getting myself set up...or so I thought!
This trip has been in the offing for a couple of months, covid, work and life slowed the delivery date but gave me time to trawl uTube for advice and to see how modern methods have changed the scene since I last sat bankside. A not inconsiderable amount spent at Bobco on a new rod, line(s), hooks, shot, floats...well just about everything!
The morning arrived, I barely slept that night. The thrill was back! My mind was running through all the videos of the professionals catching and the tactics they used.... Sorted...I thought...
So at 06:30 John and I loaded the car up and headed to Mushroom. Glad I bought a brolly...
Upon arriving John was a man on a mission, his pole rig was up in seconds whilst I was fumbling about emptying my box trying to find everything I had dumped in there. Thirty minutes later I had myself sorted except for one thing. Err, John, you know that Aldi bag next to the bin, where is is it? Dunno, why? Well it has all my bait in it!
Really? and WTF!
All I had was some fake rubber sweetcorn (It might have been real sweetcorn mummified) and a tin of spam with an expiry date 1997.
s**t! And double s**t!!
Well that's me buggered then. Or so I thought. John had tin of sweetcorn a pint of hemp and dead maggots and some 8mm pellets.
That will have to do. I'm not doing a round hour trip, now I'm here I want to fish dammit!
Pellet bands... how the hell do I put this on the hook was the 1st moment of confusion. I had bought one of those new fangled "Pellet Wagglers" and I was trying in vain to follow the mental memory of how they were meant to be fished. Yeah Sod That!

The rain came and went, I kept banging my head on the brolly feeding the swim, missing bites...
Dejected I just sat for half an hour, John had taken a few on the pole. I just needed to clear my head after all the cockups.
I kept feeding the swim in small amounts, say a golf ball size every 5 mins, I would have used the catapult but the elastic had perished and it snapped the first time I tried to use it. So I was using the lob method, to random placement effect...
Was this day going to get any worse?
Nope!
I reverted to what I knew
A tackle down and fitting a Drennon Crystal Waggler brought me back to something like normality.
I picked an area that was reflected between 2 bushes on the opposite bank, not quite one rod length out, a swing as opposed to a cast, the depth was measured. Said waggler with newfangled rubber stoppers on the line, 3 number 10's at 5" from the hook and now I was back into my era. Now at last I was in old but familiar water. Hemp and dead maggot mix in and Wham! I was too busy rolling a smokie joe to notice the rod go round, the first I knew was the rod trying to enter the water after it hit me broadside! Yeah that one woke me up and also got away. Bugger!
I did manage through all the maelstrom and calamity of the day actually catch some fish and lose a lot more.
4 Carp (2 common, 2 mirror), 3 Bream, 1 Roach and several fingers...

I'll be back.
Munchy

It looked bigger..JPG

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well done fella, as I said the old ways will still catch them. ;)
Looks like you're firmly hooked once more. :upthumb:

Total

Site Supporter
@MunchMyStump ......Enjoyed your recount of your day above....:giggle:......It does get better......Eventually! ;)....Be lucky pal.....(y)

Last edited:

JayD

Glad your first outing back went well....eventually.
Stick with what you know to start off with, as you've seen, it still works. You can always experiment as your confidence grows.

John.