Return to fishing after 20(?) years

Grimberian

Hi All,
Just wanted to say hello as I have been scaning through the forums over the last couple of weeks as I get back into a bit of fishing.
Used to go a lot with my dad when I was little, though I am sure he spent more time sorting out my tangles than actually fishing himself.

Anyway, I got one of his old waggler rods and a couple of reels off him a couple of weeks back, bought myself a couple of floats, shot and hooks and trundled of to the local lake.
Absolutely brilliant, all comes flooding back. Caught a good few Perch, skimmer Bream and roach so very happy.

Thing is, the second time out I caught a carp on a size 14 hook with a single piece of sweetcorn.
Took me somewhat by surprise, and needed to borrow an unhooking mat from the chap sat next to me, but it was exciting.
Which leads to the next question - I need to make better use of my two rod licence, so what do I buy next. I want to keep using my float setup as I love it, but I am thinking something for catching those bigger carp too. I am thinking a quiver tip might give me a bit more flexibility (maybe river fishing in the future?) than carp rods on a bite alarm like my dad fishes, but is that manageable while keeping an eye on a float? I just keep tying myself in knots with the choice out there!

Hope to see you all around :)

Paul.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Should be manageable Paul if you use a Baitrunner style reel on your feeder rod, otherwise there's always the chance that a savage bite could see the whole set up vanishing into the water. ;)

Welcome to the forum fella, always good to see an Angler returning to the fold.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Firstly welcome and secondly yes a quivertip
rod is good choice for a second rod. Between that and your float rod you’ll be able to cover most situations. As to using them at the same time it can be a bit fiddly but is doable if you set yourself up right.

Grimberian

Thanks Chaps, nice to be back :)
Thanks for the confirmation of the quiver tip, and that I am not just talking garbage.
I will go and have a chat with the local tackle shop and see what they have in stock.
P.

rudd

Site Supporter
For second (snide) rod go for an avon set up, baitrunner, small alarm and bobbin.
Use avon top set up with alarm when also float fishing or quiver sections if fishing the tip on!y.
An avon rod is very versatile and can perform many tasks such as float, ledger, floater, lure and even light estuary work.

Grimberian

Would something like this do the job? I'm just reading up on Avon-rods after seeing the name mentioned quite a bit...
Cheers

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I don't fish two rods at the same time, find I catch more by concentrating my attentions on one rod, one method.

But welcome back to the fold!

Bring the fatted calf!
He who was lost, has returned.
:D

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
As Rudd said Avon quiver rods are incredibly versatile I almost always take one with me in addition to my normal float and feeder rods. Probably a good suggestion to get one before the normal feeder rod as with the quiver tips it won’t be far off as a good as a normal feeder rod then the Avon top will give you more options as well.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Which leads to the next question - I need to make better use of my two rod licence, so what do I buy next. I want to keep using my float setup as I love it, but I am thinking something for catching those bigger carp too. I am thinking a quiver tip might give me a bit more flexibility (maybe river fishing in the future?) than carp rods on a bite alarm like my dad fishes, but is that manageable while keeping an eye on a float? I just keep tying myself in knots with the choice out there!

Hope to see you all around :)

Paul.

Using a quiver tip while watching the float is more that manageable. Set up the tip rod by using using 2 bank sticks, a bait runner reel and an alarm, the butt of the tip rod should be within reach. That way, should you get a run, the alarm will tell you. You have no need to watch the tip and the float at the same time, the tip rod is what's known as a sleeper rod.