Return after 12 years, advice please

Captain Jack

Hi
I have been reading with interest the posts on this site for a while now as I have been looking for thoughts on tackle and people on here definitely know what they are about.
which leads me on to my question.

I was a keen angler from being a kid up until 12 years ago when my job changed and became much more demanding and I found I was unable to allocate time to my love of fishing. Fast forward to now and I am about to retire through redundancy, so I am getting back into what I love in a big way. however things have changed a lot and I am looking for a little advice.
I live in Middlesbrough and have joined Middlesbrough AC this year ( was in Yarm) so I can do a bit of river fishing while I get back into things, so far I have been going to the Oakes and Woodlands plus Rennie lake.
What I would like if anyone can provide it is some suggestions of other places to try around the area that people would recommend also if anyone has fished the Middlesbrough waters any tips or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

CJ

tincatim

Site Supporter
Glad to see you making a return to angling, I don’t think it ever leaves you, despite what life throws at us. I can’t help with venues in Middlesborough but I’m sure someone will.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Welcome back, enjoy the retirement. As above i can't be much help on the venues, but thought would welcome anyway.

Captain Jack

Thank you very much for the warm welcome.
I look forward to many posts of useful advice and tips as i have a lot of catching up to do !

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Hi
I have been reading with interest the posts on this site for a while now as I have been looking for thoughts on tackle and people on here definitely know what they are about.
which leads me on to my question.

I was a keen angler from being a kid up until 12 years ago when my job changed and became much more demanding and I found I was unable to allocate time to my love of fishing. Fast forward to now and I am about to retire through redundancy, so I am getting back into what I love in a big way. however things have changed a lot and I am looking for a little advice.
I live in Middlesbrough and have joined Middlesbrough AC this year ( was in Yarm) so I can do a bit of river fishing while I get back into things, so far I have been going to the Oakes and Woodlands plus Rennie lake.
What I would like if anyone can provide it is some suggestions of other places to try around the area that people would recommend also if anyone has fished the Middlesbrough waters any tips or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

CJ
Rivers or Stillwater

Simon R

Site Supporter
Hutton Rudby Ponds are quite well regarded by Middlesbrough members I understand - it's 20 years since I've fished them though - have a word with Dale in Anglers Choice to get some up-to-date information.
Similarly with their waters on the Swale - I'm not sure exactly what they've got or how it's accessed - I believe some of it offers riverside parking which is always a bonus - there should be maps in your club book. I think they have the rights for the stretch upstream of Skipton Bridge which was always a decent area - unfortunately since the demise of Thirsk AC I'm no longer certain who owns what.

Other than the commercials you've mentioned other local (ish) spots include:
Dromonby Farm Fishery near Great Broughton - three lakes to choose from - currently must be booked in advance - I was there last Sunday
Brafferton Fishery (between Thornton Bridge and Helperby) - four lakes - quite heavily match fished on weekends - usually very quiet mid-week
Rising Sun Fishery near Aldwark - three lakes - I've only fished the back two but it's a nice quiet spot with some mental carp that pull your arms off.
Grange Farm Pond just outside Thirsk - not really a commercial, more of a traditional day-ticket water - some big tench and bream and lots of silvers
Lockwood Beck Reservoir - reverted to Northumbrian Water control and is now a coarse fishery - the native roach and perch population has been supplemented with rudd, skimmers, tench and crucians. The latter two species seem to have vanished, although there weren't many stocked and it's a big old expanse of water.

You'll find my match reports on all the above waters (plus many others) using the search facility - the photos seem to have vanished on the older reports but the text still makes sense without them =- most of the time :p

Simon

Captain Jack

Thanks for all the info especially Simon
I have known Dale for a long time and will be tapping into his pool of knowledge.
i am happy to fish anywhere that has mixed species, i am not a specimen hunter.
the main reason i asked was to avoid going to the same place all the time.

thanks again.
CJ