Result.

Rick123

Site Supporter
You may recall guys I mentioned how I got two rods lost by a well know courier service. The rods were quite unique in as much they aren't being made anymore. So I got a good price on E-Bay of £300, I was very happy. Now I know some people will disagree and think they are covered, but after much research I don't know any couriers that will cover fishing rods for breakage, loss maybe. Anyway I knew I was not insured and the rods were lost, disappeared.

However, the company couriers did such a bad job from start to finish (long story) I told them the service fell short of any contract, and because of that, the contract they were trying to force on me was illegal. Naturally they came back saying, no leg to stand on and £20 was the standard payout, bye. However I had kept all telephone transcripts, e-mails and told them their contract could not refuse me my legal rights under there terms of goods act. Naturally I quoted the law and sections required from the act. They then offered me £80 and admitted their service fell below their standards. Doing that effectively sank their boat, I told them I would go to court in 14 days if i did not get a full refund. I got that a week later. I'm not trying to brag about this but explaining most courier companies will deny you compensation and try to get away with non payment, you all know that from experience. I'm saying be polite, be professional and keep every e-mail, phone transcript (ask for it after each call) Some one mentioned insuring for more than its worth, don't try that, it can void the claim. Do hope my bit of work helps other.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nice one Rick, good to hear that you've managed to get this resolved. :upthumb:

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I am so pleased that you received a just outcome, which as you say would not have happened without your determination to see it through. It is a sad thing to say, but unless you are a commercial client sending thousands of parcels a year, then the standard practice in so many businesses is to deny liability, offer nothing above the absolute minimal payout, if that, and ignore / stonewall as long as possible in the hope that the customer, gives up.

Not all companies act in this way, but to a fair few it is standard accepted practice.

Rick123

Site Supporter
I will never post a rod again with Parcel Force, I genuinely believe this is commercial theft. Too many people I know have had rods nicked and no real attempt made to find them. Example where have my two rods gone?
I guarantee 90% of people getting two fishing rods in the post unexpected would return them to the post office, you would I would. So it must either be an angler that's just lucky and risks the police turning up, or plain theft? No item simply disappears, I'd love to speak to the Parcel Force fraud squad that chase people for trying to de-fraud their firm. What about the poor people like us?

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
What a great result, well done. I had a conversation with a customer the other day that had the same experience when sending some quite expensive motorcycle parts. He did the same and was paid out.
A lot of these big companies try it on. If your car was written off , the first quote you get is always low. A lot of people accept it and the insurance company has saved thousands, if not millions of pounds with this tactic.

Rick123

Site Supporter
What a great result, well done. I had a conversation with a customer the other day that had the same experience when sending some quite expensive motorcycle parts. He did the same and was paid out.
A lot of these big companies try it on. If your car was written off , the first quote you get is always low. A lot of people accept it and the insurance company has saved thousands, if not millions of pounds with this tactic.

But Sam, where do those parts go buddy, thats the ugly part of all this?

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
But Sam, where do those parts go buddy, thats the ugly part of all this?
There all nicked mate. Apparently in London it’s rife. I don’t think it’s much better anywhere else. There is also a case of the courier companies don’t give a toss, as there is no loss to them. Most of them are completely incompetent and employ people who aren’t employable anywhere else. When I was first in business I used Parcelforce. If I sent a parcel next day and it didn’t arrive on time I didnt have to pay the carriage. You try getting any of them to do that now.