Restoring a Mach 2 Boron - original style or fuji locking seat?

adriang

Site Supporter
I acquired a 13 ft Mach 2 Boron, the rings need rewhipping, and several of them need replacing as they are damaged.

My intention was to strip the blank, including the handle, and then rebuild it.

I want to use it, not sell it on, so its 'for me', so not fussed about keeping it original.

I was originally thinking Fuji lined rings throughout rather than the original wire (I remember the Dave Harrell video where he said about the weight, but I think I'd deal with it).

I was also planning on a more 'modern' Fuji locking reel seat.

Somewhere on Maggot Drowners, and now I can't find it, I am sure I read a comment where this had been tried, but the overall balance of the rod was impacted.

Has anybody out there tried it, or has any thoughts/comments?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Is this the rod that superseeded the President ? Very rare now aren't they ?

adriang

Site Supporter
Is this the rod that superseeded the President ? Very rare now aren't they ?
I think (not certain) there have been several editions of the President, maybe even stretching back to the first generation of carbon fibre rods.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I think (not certain) there have been several editions of the President, maybe even stretching back to the first generation of carbon fibre rods.
I'd be interested to see how you get on with it pal. ?

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I acquired a 13 ft Mach 2 Boron, the rings need rewhipping, and several of them need replacing as they are damaged.

My intention was to strip the blank, including the handle, and then rebuild it.

I want to use it, not sell it on, so its 'for me', so not fussed about keeping it original.

I was originally thinking Fuji lined rings throughout rather than the original wire (I remember the Dave Harrell video where he said about the weight, but I think I'd deal with it).

I was also planning on a more 'modern' Fuji locking reel seat.

Somewhere on Maggot Drowners, and now I can't find it, I am sure I read a comment where this had been tried, but the overall balance of the rod was impacted.

Has anybody out there tried it, or has any thoughts/comments?
I replaced the cork handle on my Shimano twin power with a fuji screw seat, never noticed any problems, quite the opposite. No more pushing the collars tighter to keep the reel in place. If you're doing it yourself for you to use, you can move the reel seat to a position that's just right. Are you having the handle replaced? I didn't, just bare carbon.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
When I refurbished my two Daiwa Barnsley black shadow 13' rods the hardest bit was finding a company that still sold the cork for the handles. Worse than finding a needle in a haystack.

nejohn

Site Supporter
If I where intending to use it on a regular basis I would go with a full strip down, replace the original rings with single leg fuji's, seymo' or Seagate's put a screw down reel seat on and replace the cork handle with new. That however will negatively impact any future value the rod will have. On the other hand if you are intending to use it occasionally as a nostalgia trip then put it back to its original condition with original rings and reel fittings

nejohn

Site Supporter
When I refurbished my two Daiwa Barnsley black shadow 13' rods the hardest bit was finding a company that still sold the cork for the handles. Worse than finding a needle in a haystack.
There are a couple of sellers on eBay that sell them in 10 inch sections and the quality of the cork is pretty good

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The original early 80s Shakespeare President had traditional wire rings which was replaced by the Mach2 Boron about 1984 which came as standard with Fugi SIC lined rings.
Many of the Borons where rewhipped with traditional hard chrome rings and often had 6 inches chopped off the butt because the "influencers" of the day said this was how they should be. I still have a 12 foot with SICs and a rewhipped 13 foot to replace an original one that was stolen.
I cant remember the Borons being sold by Shakespeare with wire rings and at some point in the 80s the blank manufacturer in Japan who produced the blanks to be finished by Shakespeare went out of business so Shakespeare sourced the blanks for the later rods like the President 2 and the Victory etc. from another source rumoured to be Korea but never confirmed by Shakespeare.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Be careful when replacing the locking reel seat and measure everything, including the spaces between the rings before you strip it. Even measure the the distance between the bottom of the rod and the reel seat. If you just guess, then the rod will not feel balanced. Also measure the length of the handle.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
There are a couple of sellers on eBay that sell them in 10 inch sections and the quality of the cork is pretty good
Hi John. My Mk1 rod wasn't a problem. It was the super slim Mk2 that gave me a hard time. I did think about building the blank up where the cork sits but, I did find a supplier eventually. About £25 for a full cork not segments. I'm struggling to remember who I got it off now. It's an age thing ?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
The original early 80s Shakespeare President had traditional wire rings which was replaced by the Mach2 Boron about 1984 which came as standard with Fugi SIC lined rings.
Many of the Borons where rewhipped with traditional hard chrome rings and often had 6 inches chopped off the butt because the "influencers" of the day said this was how they should be. I still have a 12 foot with SICs and a rewhipped 13 foot to replace an original one that was stolen.
I cant remember the Borons being sold by Shakespeare with wire rings and at some point in the 80s the blank manufacturer in Japan who produced the blanks to be finished by Shakespeare went out of business so Shakespeare sourced the blanks for the later rods like the President 2 and the Victory etc. from another source rumoured to be Korea but never confirmed by Shakespeare.
I'm being cremated with the two presidents Frank Barlow gave me. He took delivery of his new 13 and 14' borons and I got his two Presidents. What a lovely guy. I still miss him.

Fartacus

Site Supporter
It all depends on what kind of job you want on it??
I've built many rods over the years for myself and it's nearly impossible to get a finish like a professional,
simply because of the wipping of the eyes you need epoxy and a rod turner so it.
The rods I've made I've used dope and exterior wood varnish worked very well and has never let me down.

A trick on wipping, load the thread on a reel a multiplier is the best a fixed spool does nearly as well and adjust the tension as required..

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
It all depends on what kind of job you want on it??
I've built many rods over the years for myself and it's nearly impossible to get a finish like a professional,
simply because of the wipping of the eyes you need epoxy and a rod turner so it.
The rods I've made I've used dope and exterior wood varnish worked very well and has never let me down.

A trick on wipping, load the thread on a reel a multiplier is the best a fixed spool does nearly as well and adjust the tension as required..
I had mine in a battery drill with a bit of tape over the trigger. Much to the annoyance of my misses. I bit the bullet and bought some epoxy. Very expensive for what it is but, gives an excellent finish.

adriang

Site Supporter
Thanks for the input, great reading.

I talked to Guides and Blanks a few months ago (thanks to Sam for sharing the link), and there are loads of options for the cork handle. There are also a few useful videos on YouTube, the one that got me thinking about the handle shows the fitting of a Fuji seat and replacement cork to upgrade a rod.

I'll probably take a trip to see them to get some advice on the right rings to use, and what to buy for the handle. From looking at the site, the options are a little overwhelming for my (lack of) experience.