Rescue operation for fish .......

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelson66

funny isnt it that some of the ressers are nearly full, but others are bone dry.

United Utilities made millions by draining reservoirs (unneccesary over capcity)then using them as land fill sites, then selling the sites off for housing development. I heard on the radio today that the hosepipe ban might last til the end of the year.

Its a joke isnt it. 3 months dry spell early in the summer and were screwed.
Its done nothing but rain since the school holidays started, I havent had my bbq going since June!
Maybe its the wrong kind of rain

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Considering also that we are the wettest country in Europe and also have had the wettest July on record nationwide, it'd be laughable if it wasn't so pathetic

I don't think the solution will ever be realised when there are 'acceptable' leaks equal to approximately 1/4 of all water useage. That's 1 in 5 gallons of stored water going to waste.

In addition the rivers have been altered over the years to allow quicker routes to the sea in case of heavy rain to avoid flooding yet there wouldn't be a so much of a problem with flooding had land not been sold off and built on that was once designated flood planes.

The problem is not all about droughts, it's all to do with money in my opinion - money that the businesses who manage are water are reluctant to spend on leak repairs in order to maintain profits for shareholders; money from the sale of land that once was designated flood plane; and as previously posted money from land fill and land reclamation that was once reservoirs

nelson66

I'm going through Gargrave tomorrow - I'll stop and see how low the canal is and take a photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.