Reporting a Set Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Fisheries experts at the Environment Agency are urging people to report in if they notice anyone using, carrying or assembling illegal set lines.

Set lines are baited hooks fastened to strong lines or powerful elastic that are tethered to the bank, thrown into the water and left unattended. The line, which can stretch across the width of the water often carries several baited hooks. It takes a few minutes to deploy or recover such lines. The victim fish are frequently found alive, but with no chance of recovery, as the hook has made its way into the fishs stomach.

This barbaric practice is widely condemned by the angling community who fish for sport, but is used by people who want to remove fish for the table. And its not just fish that end up victims of set lines; birds such as swans, duck, grebe, moorhens, coot and terns have been found tethered to such lines, and fish predators such as otters may also fall victim.

Environment Officer Roger Ferguson said: The vast majority of anglers in the UK fish for sport and have great respect for wildlife and their welfare. Unfortunately there are still some people who try to take fish away to eat and use this illegal fishing method. Increasingly we are finding these methods to be used in both urban and rural areas. We would urge anyone who sees a set line in use or being set up to contact us immediately so that we can come and remove it.

The Environment Agency will prosecute anyone found using or in possession of a set line, and any unattended lines will be removed and seized. Anyone caught will be liable to a fine of up to 2,500.

To report a set line call the Environment Agency on 0800 807060

If you would like to find out more about angling rules and regulations, visit www.environment-agency.gov.uk and click on Fish.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
For once it looks like I have to agree with you [:)]

viking lord

i mentioned this problem in my area in one of my first replies,
also the lack of interest from the ea and local police,the ones ive found,thankfully only a couple,ive taken them and burnt them,i also walk the dogs along river and canal banks and look for them as we dont have enough bailiffs to do this,why i dont know

Beluga

Bash
Interesting thought - obviously birds become victims of this practice wonder if the RSPB would like to add to the pressure on this practice - we need as many allies as possible - unlikely though they be[}:)]

Jolanta Nowak

I remember once reading some book written by a passionate angler who talked of his childhood days in South Wales.

In it he talked about 'night lines' for sea fish which were, it seems, quite a common practice in the Swansea area. The fascination lay in coming back early in the morning to see what might have been caught.

This isn't really angling in my book and I agree that we shouldn't tolerate it - although what precisely the difference is between this and some commercial forms of using baited lines at sea escapes me.

noviceman.dean

It happend in thamesmead near me they took a swan and carried it threw the centre. ive even had ppl ask me over birchmere lake if they could take my fish... i said no what for and they replied we could eat that all week

Status
Not open for further replies.