Replacing Tip Rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lid

I want to replace the tip rings on three of my rods with threaded ones. One of these is the plain top on my new John Wilson Avon Quiver.

John (Esox.20) recently wrote
quote:It would be simplicity its self to remove and replace the tip ring with a threaded tip ring. The original tip is probably glued on with hot melt glue.

However can anyone please give me some idiot proof advice on how to do this properly. I've bought two 3mm threaded tip rings, but don't want to ruin my nice new shiny rods.[:D]

I recently got a tackle shop to do one of the rods using a new tip ring they supplied, but wasn't very successful at all. Their replacement ring was a too small and when I first used it, the ring sheared off because the tip of the rod did not marry up with the end of its recess.

They didn't have a decent replacement ring so just re-glued the broken one on, which looked ok, but actually won't accept a quiver thread because this time the rod tip is too far up the recess. Needless to say I didn't bother taking it back again, even though I feel a bit hard done by for the three or four quid I spent on effectively nothing but trouble. [:(]

Lid [:)]

Last edited:

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Hi Lid, First apply heat from a lighter or a match to the shank of the tip ring. A word of warning first Make sure the tip ring is NOT pointed at anyone or anything it may come off like a rocket. Tiny will voutch for this lol. When the ring is removed I then take the tip to a shop to get as good a match in the size as possible.
Now using hot melt glue I melt a small bit on to the tip I then apply some heat to the new ring. Push on the new ring which should be a close fit ensuring the tip goes as deep as possible. Line up the rings and allow to cool. If you find the rings you have bought are to big then whip the end of the tip tightly with some thread then coat this in hot melt glue before fitting the tip ring. I know its to late but I could have done these for you last Sunday had I known lol. If you need any more info email me and I'll explain as fully as I can.

chill out go fishing

Lid

Thanks John. It all makes perfect sense, I just don't want to mess anything up. I'll try an older rod first and then progress to the better ones.

Steve M

Site Supporter
Hi Lid,
I have replaced a couple of tip rings over the years, and more by luck than judgement, they have worked out.Pretty much exactly as described by Esox.20. The only thing I would add, is to hold the tip ring with a pair of pliars, while you apply heat.I can still feel the pain even now!!![:)][:)]
Cheers

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Steve, if you heated the ring that hot then you have overheated it. I know it needs to be "hot" but to much heat can damage the actuall blank inside the ring. As a guide I hold the ring in my fingers till it starts to feel hot and then push it in to place.

chill out go fishing

mike s

If the shop was up to scratch then they should either have a Seymo tip guage or a micrometer to measure your rod with. I have both-the micrometer is also great for frightening off Reps. who bring in the latest "Extra Super 0.05mm 2lb." line. "Hmm measures 0.1mm mate"[:D][:D][B)]

Cumbria Angling Centre

Lid

If you were a bit closer Mike, I'd be round your shop this afternoon!!

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Lid, by way of a boast just ask trogg who got him out of trouble a couple of weeks ago when he snapped the tip ring off his quivertip. I had to remove one from a spare quiver I had and put that on his rod. All done in deepest dark Wales to, under the noses of the natives.

chill out go fishing

TINY

Tiny
Then John came to me to replace the one he used on Troggs rod[:D][:D]

Andy.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Yep and would have paid for it to (not that nasty person trogg)lol but Andy let me off paying hes such a nice chap.

chill out go fishing
[:D] you cant beat a good bout of creeping [:D]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.