Replacing a 25 year-old Maver Pole

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
My ancient Maver M25 is pretty knackered and worn out, like its owner.
It has had three or four major repairs, and the joints are rickety and soft, again, like its owner.
In fact, the joints are paper thin, almost transparent, and easily compressed between finger & thumb, which doesn't inspire confidence when the laccy hisses through the water as a lump takes off!

I much prefer fishing rod & reel, but recognise that a pole is a must in certain situations, and that in order to compete in our small club matches, I sometimes have to use a pole.

So where do I start?
My first question - are ALL poles now capable of handling carp up to mid doubles?
Or do I need to read all the technical spec for each pole?
I guess if it carries a macho name like Carp Slayer or Cypry Anilhilator, it's going to be tough. But probably heavy. I have a 9m Accolyte Carp Margin Pole, which is tough as old boots, but heavy at full length.

I'm thinking of going up to 14m maximum, because even 10 metres starts to feel unwieldy and unnatural.
Budget up to £1500, need 3 top kits plus cupping kit, never needed more than that.
But it must be light and strong.

This may be the last pole I ever buy, so I want it to be right. If it lasts another 25 years, it WILL be the last pole I ever buy!

HELP!

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
In all honesty Dave your £1500 budget gives you a wealth of options from a number of makers.
If I was in your position a trip to a tackle shop with a decent pole alley (Bob Co?) would be on the cards to give you an idea of what feels right for you. ;)

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
You could look at an Acolyte Carp which would mostly interchange tops with your margin pole, if its the pro version they all interchange if your margin is the original I think its the top 4 that fit.

pies

Site Supporter
In all honesty Dave your £1500 budget gives you a wealth of options from a number of makers.
If I was in your position a trip to a tackle shop with a decent pole alley (Bob Co?) would be on the cards to give you an idea of what feels right for you. ;)
Do this !

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Christ - £1500 - hope your good lady doesn't know - £50 to keep quiet :devilish:

Well, I was just sitting quietly, looking pensive and a bit worried.
So she offered me a penny for my thoughts.
She carried on asking until I admitted that I was most concerned about the state of my old pole, its paper-thin joints, and how much it weighs nowadays..

So she told me to get a new one.
Her idea entirely, so that's alright then.

So it goes.

;)

notneeded

The 1st pie winner 2019
Site Supporter
Well, I was just sitting quietly, looking pensive and a bit worried.
So she offered me a penny for my thoughts.
She carried on asking until I admitted that I was most concerned about the state of my old pole, its paper-thin joints, and how much it weighs nowadays..

So she told me to get a new one.
Her idea entirely, so that's alright then.

So it goes.

;)
I can see who wears the trousers in your house ???

pies

Site Supporter
Wondering if i should replace my silvers pole my E51. Still going strong