Repairing a broken rod

BarryS

Gone fishing
A couple of weeks ago I was fishing 20 yds away from my regular fishing mate Alan. Landing a 6lb carp his favorite 13 ft Diawa power float rod snapped in the middle section.
He bought the rod second hand a couple of years ago and loved it .....his favorite rod was no more.
The following weekend I asked him what he was going to do with it and was told he was going to grow some beans up what was left. I asked him if I could have it and try and mend it for him...nothing ventured nothing gained. He gave me the broken rod with the broken middle section and an old carp rod he was given a few years ago and never used that I was free to cut up.
I managed to cut back to two clean ends on the broken section then tried to find matching tapers on the "donor"carp rod and spent half a day trimming small sections of blank and sliding them Repaired rod holding up.jpg.jpg down the inside of the middle section of the shortened section till eventually I got one to fit well.....I used a little Gorilla Glue smeared on and created a new spiggot....Quite a neat finish. I was pleased with the result
So last week I handed it to him explaining it was now a 12 ft rod not a 13ft....and hopefully it would hold up and still have a decent action. Alan caught 7 carp on that first session including one of 16lb which did put a bend in the rod. Looks like might hold up.
So Alan had his favourite rod back....a tad shorter but it just might last a few more years :)

grey

Site Supporter
Nice one mate!

These old Diawa's were so fast I doubt the rod has lost much action from the middle section (despite being a foot shorter). Most the essential action is in the tip.

Did you have to make any spacing adjustments to the eyes?

BarryS

Gone fishing
I was left with a spare eye....and I could have moved one over and whipped it in. I gave Alan this option but then I would have had to match the whipping and the "varnish" finish..........as it was the remaining critical eye was about 2 ins away from the perfect position..but the whole thing looked good so I think we will leave the spare eye off. The photo shows the repaired rod in action..the bend looks fine. Alan was using a homemade stick/conroller float and a floating pellet
always works well for him about 10 feet out from the bank.

John Step

Site Supporter
The last 6inches of my Daiwa 13 ft SR Match snapped off. I whipped on a top eye and it is now a perfect 12ft 6 inch tench float rod.