Renting rods Keswick ?

danielmck07

I am in the Lake District (Keswick) and was looking on doing a bit of fly fishing for trout as I have never done it however I don’t have any gear so I was wondering if there is anywhere close you can rent or hire a fly fishing rod etc? And if anyone knows any good trout spots close to Keswick ?

brian carragher

Site Supporter
There's plenty of trout river running through bassenthwaite, always worth having a look upstream of the lake

dealornodeal

Site Supporter
Theres a very small tackle shop at the bottom of Keswick high street might be worth talking to the people in there for help/advice

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
For river brownies, the Derwent between Bassenthwaite Lake and Keswick is good. You need a ticket, not sure where from these days?
Edit - found it -

I've had some lovely brown trout from the bays near Glenridding on Ullswater and from the shallows at the other end near Pooley Bridge, free fishing. Best early morning and evening.
Closed season on both the above until 14 March.
Until then, Watendlath Tarn is a lovely place to fish, day tickets from the farmhouse there. Parking is National Trust.

img2638~469.jpg

Just stay away from the public foothpath area either side of the bridge.
"That's right Gregory, you throw stones into the water , so that nasty man can't hurt them with his fishing hook!" :oops:

Windermere & Ambleside AC have some excellent fishing on their books. I've fished Ghyll Head, High Newton and Bigland Tarn.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
What bait David, maggot or caster? Also places I have also visited - 1 week of my honeymoon was spent at Pooley Bridge.