Renny's lake

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlythMags

Can anyone give me directions on how to get to Renny's travelling south down the A19 (from Blyth), please?

Also - can anyone give me a few pointers on how best to fish it (bait, tactics, etc)?

I'd prefer to fish in waggler as opposed to feeder, if at all possible?

Thanks

Alan

Simon R

Site Supporter
Alan

Check this thread for details of what we caught earlier this month
http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/4137

If you look under "Going Fishing" theres more details including directions and methods etc.

If I wanted a day on the waggler I'd probably go for the peg on the point (the end one with your back to the main road). Its usually good for a few chub and odd carp. I'd wait until this wind dies down a bit though, we had a match on there yesterday and were blown away - have a look at my match report for details.

Tight Lines

Simon

BlythMags

That's great Simon.

So it doesn't seem to be very deep, then?

I was planning on heading out on Friday, but the forecast is for overnight temperatures of -2.

In your experience, is it worth the trip down or will the lake be frozen over?

How does Renny's fish after a cold snap?

Thanks

Alan

Simon R

Site Supporter
In the winter the carp do shoal up in a particular area (seems to vary from day to day) and if you find them you'll have a field day.

The lake record was beaten a couple of weeks ago, after breaking the ice. Graham Hall won a Wilton AC match with 88lb. The fish have spread out a bit more now though and I don't think one cold night will do a lot of harm.

So long as the following day is relatively warm the fish should respond, I'd be tempted to fish a little later since recent matches have seen a lot of the bigger fish being caught late on (2pm onwards)

The pegs at the top of the point (on either side) are probably about the deepest on the lake so I'd be tempted to fish those.

Tight Lines

Simon

BlythMags

Thanks again.

I'm off there tomorrow, 'cos I'm sick of blanking up here!!

At last, it would seem there's somewhere local (ish) that fishes well in winter.

....and I'll definitely head down there later on in the day.

Thanks

Alan

carper2002

'Ronnie'
hi blythmags might go there myself tomorrow 11/ 3/ 03 see you there if you go
cheers

RONNIE (carper2002) a smoggy and proud

Simon R

Site Supporter
Well Alan / Ronnie - how did you get on?

Hope the wind didn't spoil things too much, it is rather open to the elements at Renny.

Simon

carper2002

'Ronnie'
sorry simon didn't go to windy for me same today as well was going to woodlands to windy again give us a shout when your going next do you have to be a member of stokeley to fish in the comps at Renee and when the next one
cheers

norm

carper

there will be no more comps at rennys after 16th march untill aprox october

thank god for that (LOL) it means that all the best pegs will not be taking every week

Simon R

Site Supporter
Yep, Norm's right - Wilton have a match on there this Sunday and then thats it until October 12th when Wilton are back, followed by ourselves on the 19th.

Anyone can fish the Stokesley matches at Renny Lake - I just charge a pound more for non-members, so long as I know you're coming so I can book the right number of pegs.

Now there's no more matches Norm can get his running shoes back out and do a lot more 'peg-hopping' [:p][;)][:p][;)]

Tight Lines

Simon

BlythMags

There's two of us from Blyth heading down there on Friday, armed with advice from Norm and Simon.

Hopefully the wind will have eased a little by then!!

Just out of curiosity, it seems that maggot and corn are the best baits - is there any point in buying a few worms?

Is there a one rod rule at at Rennys, or can I fish a feeder and waggler?

What are the depths it goes to, and should I bring along some Polaris floats to keep it interesting?

Too many questions?

Thanks, in anticipation.

Alan G

mookie

mookie
[:D][:D][:D]

Hi Alan....Maggots and corn will get bites but l am betting Pinkies might get the most ....as a friend of mine had a good day with pinkies the other day...[:D][:D] but saying that his dad got 4 carp on corn....so l guess changing baits would be the ideal thing to do...[:D][:D]...
I got my 5lb carp at the recent md match on a maggot corn cocktail close to the island on peg 4.....wish ye luck mate...

MOOKSTER...

Last edited:

norm

use 2 rods mate neee botha

fish were i told ya and it is about 4 or 5 foot

the closer to the ends you go the shallower it gets

caster maggot pinkie and corn

BlythMags

Sorry to be a pain but what about loosefeeding?

I was thinking about hoying a few grains of hemp in with half a dozen castors, pinkies, or maggot every casts - is this okay?

What about the type of groundbait to use in a feeder, or is loosefeed enough at this time of year?

Thanks

Alan

norm

no way mate

hoy a couple of each in and thats it

for about 10 mins

unless the fish are comming thick and fast

then still take it easy

remember it is still winter

BlythMags

Thanks, again.

I'm sitting here waiting for the phone to go at any minute - me mates are due into Ncle any minute from Milano.

I know the second I go to sleep, the phone's gonna ring - I'm sure there's a few tales to tell.

By the way, I didn't go (2nd Euro away trip I've missed this year) as I'm bloody brassic. Just
I have to say - to come away from the San Siro with a point and be pi**ed off says a lot about how far we've come over the last few season!!

...and as for the rabble down the road?? You have to laugh!

carper2002

'Ronnie'
as you said if its not to windy IL be over there on friday as well see you lads there maybe Blythe
thought you would support Blythe Spartans bud (lol)
cheers

BlythMags

Follow Blyth when I can, but with mee season ticket for Ncle (plus away trips) I don't get the chance that often.

Just quickly, was Renny's Lake previously called Stoney Lane Pond?

Alan G

Simon R

Site Supporter
Stony Lane is just down the road from Renny and used to be owned by the same bloke who's got Renny now - in fact the fish in Renny came from Stony Lane about 18 months ago.

Stony Lane is a club water now (Stokesley AC) and had 1000 fish (carp, chub, ide and roach) introduced into it in December last year. In addition there's the fish which evaded the net and didn't get transferred to Renny Lake - nobody really knows how many there may be.

Tight Lines

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.