Remove hook first.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
On a lot of catch and return trout waters you are not allowed to remove the fish from the water.
I would have the fish in a landing net, but not lifted, bend/kneel down and grip the fly with artery forceps to remove it. The net is then sunk to allow the fish to swim away. No contact with the fish at all.
A friend of mine is the owner of a speci carp lake here in France, with some very large fish. Individual
fish can be worth thousands and, although most of his customers are experienced anglers, he just can't risk exposing his stock to bad handling on the bank, so he gives everyone a walkie talkie with the instructions to keep the fish at rest in the landing net and call him, any time. He would shoot down to oversee landing, unhooking, weighing, photographing and return., all to protect his investment.
A lake I used to fish in Northern France had a head of large sturgeon. If you hooked one, you were not allowed to land or lift it in a net. You got in the water, steadied the fish and then released it to swim away. If you were not prepared to do that, you didn't fish there, and he was always booked up.

62tucker

Site Supporter
He needs to be taken to one side and a major word in his ear.
Fish health is and should be top priority and a photo should be way down the list.
Hopefully next time he does this the fish flaps about and releases the hook straight into his finger.
Or as his rod must be close if hook still attached the lad in camera stands on his rod. I always remove hook. And them move rod and landing net handle out of the way.