Removal of fish - to stop littering !!!

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’ve mentioned several times that there is only one free stillwater in my area, Neville Park Lake in Snodland (Kent). It’s a small lake containing only carp, owned by the town council and maintained by Medway Valley Fisheries who own the rights the bulk of the surrounding lakes.

It is messy, in fact it’s a complete bomb site since the majority of local anglers who fish it leave large amounts of litter, make fires, and don‘t really appreciate what they have there.

Today I dropped in for a short session after work - arrived around 9:00am to find I had the lake to myself which is completely out of character. Made my way around to the far swim noticing there was no fish activity either in the reed beds or out on the surface, again highly unusual.

As the morning wore on more local lads appeared and started to fish and eventually several migrated around to my peg to ask if I was catching - I was catching pretty much a bite a cast, all little carp up to around 8oz, on a small waggler with 6mm banoffee expanders in conjunction with 2mm banoffee loosefed pellets, match style fishing.

The other anglers had not even been getting bites but were all on big carp rigs which normally get something.

They were angry - the word locally was that during the last week the lake had been netted and all the fish transferred over the road to the lakes controlled by Medway Valley Fisheries ! This had apparently been done to stop anglers using the lake and leaving litter following a partial cleanup by the local council.

When I left the lake around 1pm I was still the only angler to have banked a fish.

I’ve emailed the Medway Valley club for clarification if this has indeed happened but am genuinely shocked that such a thing could have been undertaken, especially given the shortage of affordable or available venues within my part of Kent.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Well people bring it on themselves at the end of the day. I don't blame authorities for fighting back. You're given something nice, Something to do for free and people just trash it. Same goes for public basketball courts, football pitches and even childrens parks that have just been decimated with fires, trash and even broken glass laying around the place. Why should the council have to keep funding cleanups and repairs for people to just trash the place again within a few weeks because they don't have the decency to bring a disposable BBQ or throw away a bag of rubbish in a bin thats probably 30 yards down the road? The people who do it are the first to complain that they've been penalised and that theres 'nothing to do!' when their actions backfire on them.

This is why I don't like public ponds / lakes, Because it's full chavs, alcoholics and trashy kids who have never been taught respect that decimate the place.

I know it sucks for people who actually have some respect - But I'm all for authorities pulling moves like this to teach people a little common decency. Act like animals and get treat as such.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I’ve mentioned several times that there is only one free stillwater in my area, Neville Park Lake in Snodland (Kent). It’s a small lake containing only carp, owned by the town council and maintained by Medway Valley Fisheries who own the rights the bulk of the surrounding lakes.

As the morning wore on more local lads appeared and started to fish and eventually several migrated around to my peg to ask if I was catching - I was catching pretty much a bite a cast, all little carp up to around 8oz, on a small waggler with 6mm banoffee expanders in conjunction with 2mm banoffee loosefed pellets, match style fishing.

The other anglers had not even been getting bites but were all on big carp rigs which normally get something.

They were angry - the word locally was that during the last week the lake had been netted and all the fish transferred over the road to the lakes controlled by Medway Valley Fisheries ! This had apparently been done to stop anglers using the lake and leaving litter following a partial cleanup by the local council.

When I left the lake around 1pm I was still the only angler to have banked a fish.

I’ve emailed the Medway Valley club for clarification if this has indeed happened but am genuinely shocked that such a thing could have been undertaken, especially given the shortage of affordable or available venues within my part of Kent.
Sadly the same can be said for another pond under Medway Council's care at Capstone Valley Park where, rumour also has it, that the big fish have also been removed. This place is also treated like a tip by local visitors and the rangers seem to spend most of their time cleaning up after litterers (and apparently fornicators as my two recent visits netted me a T shirt and some underwear in the margins). I gave Willows Angling (Bax Farm nr Tenham) a bash the other day, and fished the Farm lake. Likewise, other anglers had their carp rods out connected up to bite alarms and caught virtually nothing. Float struggled for me and others too on that day, so I switched to my trusty Sphere bomb rod with a 0.5 oz tip and immediately started netting some nice F1s and small carp on method. This privately owned fishery (under new management)was devoid of rubbish and charges the same price as the council - in fact I think it is cheaper by a quid as Medway charge £11 per adult ( I get concessionary rates). However there are (or were) carp into double figures in that pond at Bax Farm, and there's a tackle shop and toilets with 3 other lakes (inc a snake lake)

bluemack

Site Supporter
They should go a step further and fill it in,those smaller match sized fish will still be targeted and the scum will still
leave litter.:mad:

OldTaff

Site Supporter
There is litter throughout the park, not just bankside, although the lake probably does provide a locus for gathering at evening / night time. Filling in the lake would have zero impact on litter because the secluded nature of that area of the park will still attract gatherings of youths but would have a massive impact on the wildlife that abounds there.

Removing the large carp will reduce anglers but not littering I feel.

The small carp will still be targeted - by me and my boy for a start - as they provide great fun sport on a whip or light float tackle but will be too frustrating for the bulk of the people who fish there to bother with.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I'd never advocate banning angling regardless what the issue is - once it's gone it's gone

Never a truer word said Dave - once a ban is in then that water is lost forever although on this venue I think a ban would have little impact given the nature of some of the people who fish it and it’s location. Anyone attempting to request someone fishing to leave may we’ll be met with forceful refusal, be that verbal or possibly physical.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Fished it again today - only 2 other swims were occupied (by youngsters) - with a light whip rig @ 18” alongside two areas of reeds alternating feed areas. We stayed just under 3 hours.

After about 15 mins we were in to fish a cast, all pristine commons and mirrors to 8oz or thereabouts. Everything taken on size 16 B611, Sonubaits 6mm banoffee hookable expanders & 2mm banoffee Haze infused pellets loosefed.

As with yesterday there was zero margin activity or signs of cruising / splashing fish.

One other fish banked - small common under a pound to floating bread.

Looks like the netting has definitely reduced numbers but I am still yet to be convinced it will reduce litter.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Watcha Taff, A few minutes bike ride from me is Singleton lake, several acres and well worth fishing. This was free fishing until the
local club took it over. Good job too as the council were on the verge of banning angling.

Example, I walked around the lake about 10am, three comatose teenagers around the remains of a broken pallet bonfire, beer tins
all over the shop along with a now silent ghetto blaster. The fishing tackle was something out of their grandad`s shed the sort of
thing that people used on piers way back when. It does not take many instances like this to galvanise local residents into {justified}
action.

This is me {poor photo I`m afraid} fishing a pond at Burgh Heath {Surry} in the fifties close to where my Grandfather lived. Again free
to fish up until a few years ago when it was netted to stop night anglers. I understand fishing is now banned full stop, all because of
idiots.

I can understand people moaning about the lack of free fishing but in my view any fishing that is free only takes an anti type council
to pass a couple of by laws and that is an end to it, not so easy if it is controlled by a club. A while ago I think it was you said MV had
a waiting list, I understand they are now accepting new members, very good club.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I was a member of MVAS last year, but I decided not to renew for personal reasons which the club are well aware of. For practical purposes, as a disabled angler there are only two venues in the club I could ever use - Mote Park (which I now buy a day ticket for now and again), and Barming for the River Medway. One of the other reasons was politics. I joined to fish, not to get involved with internal gripes, I'm too old for that stuff - spoils my enjoyment. Were I more mobile and younger, it might have been ok

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Helllo Cobweb, know what you mean, I keep out of the personal politics I just want to go fishing.

MV still a good club though, as with most clubs good value for money.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Helllo Cobweb, know what you mean, I keep out of the personal politics I just want to go fishing.

MV still a good club though, as with most clubs good value for money.
Hi PG! I agree, good value at £48 for me in theory and plenty of waters to choose from. I've scouted a few and was impressed