Regeneration in commercials

Status
Not open for further replies.

PorkRocker

If you put a few thousand carp of about 2-8 lb in a lake, both sexes so they can spawn, and was well stocked, would those fish reproduce a similar amount of fish over a generation or would the stocks dwindle to almost nothing?

I know this would depend heavily on whether the water had the right features, food, habitat, oxygen etc.. to allow fish to spawn and grow - but let's say those resources/features are fairly average ie neither at their optimum nor minimum, somewhere in between.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Unlikely that the fish would spawn to the point of replacing themselves.

Survival rates are naturally low, couple that with high stocking and most of the spawn will get eaten.

Far better to have an ongoing stocking plan. Either based on managed stock ponds or by selling the larger fish off to finance the purchase of smaller ones.

mouse77

carp fry have a very very low survival rate in 99.9% of all waters.

Codger

Originally posted by mouse77

carp fry have a very very low survival rate in 99.9% of all waters.

Were you aware that 48.6% of statistics are made up on the spot?
[:[;)][;)][;)][;)]

Larko

Also 4 out of 5 people make up 80% of the worlds population!!

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
And did you know that if you laid all the statisticians in the world head to foot across the atlantic from east to west, starting at Fishguard on a high tide, during a waxing moon, they still wouldnt say anything interesting?

Milo

23/04/04 - 28/01/20
In Memoriam
I'm afraid the stats don't lie. I've seen the carp hoovering up the spawn as the other carp are laying down in the weed. In commercials you very rarely catch any small tidler carp. Carp also eat small fish.

shadow12345

the other points to consider is what was it originally stocked with? are there predators in the water?

Warden

Site Supporter
You really need to get some professional advice for this,unless its a very large lake, where is the food going to come from to feed them will the plant life produce enough oxygen to keep them and the other fish alive,what effect will it have in 3 years time when the 2lb fish are approaching 6lbs also what % will you lose in the first year (and you will) any reputable dealer will probably tell you these things.The EA are also worth talking to,
Just read your post again you seem to be up with these things.[:W]

Last edited:

mouse77

Ok i'll rephrase what I wrote.

Carp do not breed successfully in commercial fisheries.

PorkRocker

BTW i have no intention of opening a commercial or buying one, now or in the future lol - was just interestd ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.