Reels with no anti reverse switch

trotter2

I would never buy a reel with no anti reverse fitted. Would rather manufactures removed the clutch than the anti reverse. I set the clutch just as a back up anyway but to be honest. I would not be bothered if it did not have a super smooth expensive modern clutch. Manage very nicely with my closed face reels that I always backwind.

Paul.P

So many old fashioned anglers here, & i was one of them until last couple of years, & its like many things in life nowadays, things move on, & modern clutches on reels are so reliable. Being a dedicated back winder i was very disappointed when i first bought my shimano vanquish reels & saw there was no back wind, but the rep assured me once i got used to it, i wouldn't go back to back winding. Now it did take me a good half dozen sessions to get used to setting & using the clutch but now i use it all the time, indeed there are several venues i go to where you wouldn't have time to get the anti reverse off the bites are that vicious.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I never backwind when using fixed spools at sea as that involves 10lb plus stretchless braid, fairly powerful spinning rods and very strong fish so makes sense to use the clutch. But for most my coarse fishing as it’s with light float rods, 3lb line and 2-2.5lb hooklengths aiming for fairly small fish I just feel more comfortable and more in control with backwinding when I hook a bigger one. With feeder fishing and surface fishing where I’m using a bit heavier rods with 6lb mainline 3-5lb hooklengths I’d be comfortable using the clutch but just prefer backwinding having developed the habit from float fishing.

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
I have two Shimano Sephia BB C3000S. Whitout backwind. Pleased with the reels, but my finger tends to seek the switch every time I need a foot of line. Then I remember, and lift the bail arm.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I've been a backwinder since I read an article by Ivan Marks when I was first starting out, and I've stuck by the method. I am sure I couldn't change now.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
On a commercial I always use the drag but I don't like the idea of no backwind.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Rather than simply going with my gut reaction to the prospect of not being able to backwind, I actually bought a Stradic Ci4+ FB to see for myself. It's a belting little reel and I certainly did manage perfectly well with it. However, after a fair bit of use, and despite me not being a regular backwinder, I came to the conclusion that I'd simply prefer to have the anti-reverse switch than not. I found that I was instinctively reaching for the switch at times. Force of habit over many years has obviously left its mark. I've also never needed a reel to have superior waterproofing, I don't dunk reels in venues and I don't fish in saltwater environments.

Dedicated backwinders are obviously never going to get on with such a reel. They'd be daft to even try to. However, I suspect that many of those that tend to actually use the drags on their reels will have few problems adapting, provided they actually want to.
I have hardly ever back wound for years , i find the clutch on most the modern reals ive purchased work excellent. All my reals do have backwind if i choose to use it though .

Last edited:

michael1949

Site Supporter
I bought a Shimano Sedona reel a few months ago and finally got a chance to use it today . It's one of the Shimano reels which is permanently in anti reverse mode and is a nice reel . I was using it with a method feeder using 6lb line and a 5lb hooklength , I had a few smaller fish but towards the end of the session I hooked into a carp around the 12 lb mark which put up a good fight , it took some line off the drag but I did find it odd not backwinding but not really a problem . Does anyone else use these reels and how do they get on with them .
Bought a Shimano C14+ 4000 reel because the whole package just appealed to me. Very quickly it became my go to reel, and after quite a few punishing days on the bank, was more than happy to buy a second one.In my humble opinion, they are an absolute delight to use, being so light, so smooth, and so easy to live with. I never had the issues others have simply because back winding had not been a huge part of my fishing. I know I must be weird, but whilst I still use my TDMs as well,switching over between the two is never a worry.