Reels with no anti reverse switch

peterb

Site Supporter
I bought a Shimano Sedona reel a few months ago and finally got a chance to use it today . It's one of the Shimano reels which is permanently in anti reverse mode and is a nice reel . I was using it with a method feeder using 6lb line and a 5lb hooklength , I had a few smaller fish but towards the end of the session I hooked into a carp around the 12 lb mark which put up a good fight , it took some line off the drag but I did find it odd not backwinding but not really a problem . Does anyone else use these reels and how do they get on with them .

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've not used one but likened the idea to the same as the ABU506 , and to me you are not in control but instead having to rely on the reel's mechanics to work as should when needed.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not for me, I play fish on the backwind and the clutch is only there as safety net, gives more control and almost eliminates line twist
Same for me, with the light lines and rods involved in most of my coarse fishing I just feel more comfortable in deciding when to give line rather than rely on the mechanics of the reel.

peterb

Site Supporter
I used the reel on a commercial ( Cefn Mably ) and I'll be happy to use it again under similar circumstances , I certainly wouldn't use it for Barbel fishing on the Wye though .

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Rather than simply going with my gut reaction to the prospect of not being able to backwind, I actually bought a Stradic Ci4+ FB to see for myself. It's a belting little reel and I certainly did manage perfectly well with it. However, after a fair bit of use, and despite me not being a regular backwinder, I came to the conclusion that I'd simply prefer to have the anti-reverse switch than not. I found that I was instinctively reaching for the switch at times. Force of habit over many years has obviously left its mark. I've also never needed a reel to have superior waterproofing, I don't dunk reels in venues and I don't fish in saltwater environments.

Dedicated backwinders are obviously never going to get on with such a reel. They'd be daft to even try to. However, I suspect that many of those that tend to actually use the drags on their reels will have few problems adapting, provided they actually want to.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I’d be more than happy with one. I don’t backwind and can’t remember the last time I actually used the anti-reverse switch on any of my reels.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
It's a standard feature on the reels we use out here in the tropics for pelagic and large reef fish. I couldn't get my head round why they didn't have an anti-reverse initially but soon realized why. Backwinding on those sort of fast running fish is not an option and would actually be dangerous.

Having said all that I don't think I would want to use one for my fishing in the UK (natural venues, mainly rivers) as I like to backwind on decent fish.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I've not used one but likened the idea to the same as the ABU506 , and to me you are not in control but instead having to rely on the reel's mechanics to work as should when needed.
I've lost count of the number of pints I've supped as payment for removing the pawls from old ABU's.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I was a dedicated backwinder for over 50 years but, have now started using the clutch. Anyone have any reels that don't have infinite anti reverse, absolute pig when trying to set a quiver.

richox12

Not for me. Regardless of the fact I backwind anyway I still want the option to take line from the reel when adjusting a rig etc etc

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I use drag as a backup option with backwind as my default. I did try a Shimano Sahara FI (bought from AD), (not the SS) but could not get on with it. For me, so much depends on the clutch without an anti reverse. To my mind that is going to mean an increase in reel cost, and for the type of fishing that I do, and the pain of an old dog new tricks experience, thanks, but I'll pass

bettsfan

I am a 'backwinder' too but the advance in clutch advances over the years has been phenomenal. I have a small pellet waggler rod and the reel on that I try not to backwind as the clutch is so sensitive. Unfortunately as someone stated on here, it is in my head the 'What if the mechanism fails' scenario? So i stick to backwinding and the clutch is my insurance. It's funny that when i get my knuckles wrapped (ouch) on a seriously fast run I tell myself to use the clutch more. I never listen though!!!!

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
There's an unsubtle difference between these reels and an old Abu 50*. The drag on the Shimano reels is very good. The drag on the Abu 50*s was the complete opposite.

For those that suggest that they only want to give line when they choose to, there is still a solution. You just set the drag lighter and control the rotation with your finger tips, much like a centrepin user might thumb the rim of their reel.

The only real snag I found was when setting up and casting. I will invariably turn off the anti-reverse at some points, just to give a bit of line as required. Again, it wasn't an insurmountable problem, just turning the bail arm open briefly works just fine. However, force of habit would see me reaching for a switch that wasn't there.

That's the biggest issue with reels lacking an anti-reverse switch, most people just aren't interested in adapting the way they have been doing things for many years or even many decades. You see precisely the same scenario in the dedicated closed face reel users, old centrepin fanatics and Mitchell aficionados.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I used to occasionally backwind but use the drag now, all my reels get stripped when I buy them and I grease the drag Washers with Cal's reel and drag grease, there is an argument not to grease but it works for me and makes the drag smoother and not jump, all front drag versions as the washers tend to be larger than rear drag models in my experience.

rudd

Site Supporter
The anti reverse switch is only there so you can get bail arm and handle in right place when using ready rod bags! ?
Hardly had to back wind in all my years of fishing.
If a big fish is running hold rod with both hands and let clutch do its job.
Have faith in kit being used.