Reels from the past....

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Ive just been and had a look at a couple of my old reels and found one I had forgotten I had, all daiwa 123m 125m closed face and 1657dm fixed spool (the forgotten one) I've already spooled up the 1657dm and probably going to do the 125m but why oh why did daiwa not put a anti reverse on the 123m I can remember years ago trying to net fish while the reel would back wind or even swing in only to find fish at your feet as the reel just paid line, unless I've missed a trick. Answers on a post card please this is the 80's or early 90's.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Nothing wrong with a 1657 and ( in my case ) a 120M. I still use them from time to time. I do have a couple of 440’s but, the 1657 is still a far better reel. ?

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
@tipitinmick at least the 120m had a drag on winding handle I seem to remember. The 1657 has a £99.99 price tag on looks nearly new but can't remember actually buying it. Have just greased them up and checked them just need line for the 125m and some flow on the river and I'll be hot to trot.

IanG1

Site Supporter
I still use a 123m for my close in stick float work on an Amorphous whisker stick float rod, some things just don't improve with time LOL, I had a 1657dm back in the day for river waggler work but remember suffering horrendous line twist back then? could have been the 2lb maxima of the time but never seemed to gel with it.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
@IanG1 having line twist issues with my modern reels something's never change. Some times line goes on perfect other times it's like you've never done it before what's the secret.

IanG1

Site Supporter
I can remember years ago trying to net fish while the reel would back wind or even swing in only to find fish at your feet as the reel just paid line, unless I've missed a trick. Answers on a post card please this is the 80's or early 90's.
Just trap the line with your finger, same as you do on the strike to stop this happening

IanG1

Site Supporter
@IanG1 having line twist issues with my modern reels something's never change. Some times line goes on perfect other times it's like you've never done it before what's the secret.
I chuck my spools in a bucket of water then let it spin in there while winding onto the reel, seems to solve the problem

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Cheers @IanG1 I thought that it would be simple I guess I just kept forgetting ( used to anti reverse and drag ) and fixed spool finger on the bail arm if back winding seemed easy. Can't wait to get trotting as soon as we some rain.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
That's how I normally spool my reels might just be a freak couple spools, will see next time I 're spool. Have to many reels on the go need to decide what reel for what job and stick to it.

Simon R

Site Supporter
The 120M was introduced in 1983 and had, as mentioned, drag adjustment via a knob on the handle - a straight copy of the ABU closed face reels really (506M for instance)
The 125M came out two years later and had the stern mounted drag that it still sports today - 35 years in productiono_O

1657DM was released in 1988, although the 'Autocast' reel it was based on was three years older
The 123M was also released in 1988 as a stripped down version of the 125M - it was designed to be backwind only - £15 cheaper than the 125M and 2oz lighter. It reflected the fact that most British anglers stripped the drag systems out of the ABU closed face reels anyway.

There was a Browning fixed spool match reel that was released a couple of years later that also had no drag system (possibly called the Ultimatch I seem to remember) and again was cheaper and lighter than the 'normal' version it was based on.

Personally I wasn't a fan of the Daiwa closed-face reels, although I still own, and use regularly, a 1657DM

Simon

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Cheers for the history lesson knew it was late 80's/90's I did like the daiwa closed face, but I've never used the ABU closed face, and from the looks of the 1657dm near mint I really did not use it either looking forward to pressing them into action once more. I did notice you can still buy the 125m mine is not new, I do have a spare spool for it. No spare for the 123m. But 1657dm 2 shallow graphite spools no line clips but laccy band keeps the line tidy in transit.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I still have 3 x daiwa td1350dm reels, I’ve just put new line on ready for winter waggler fishing, Abu 506 and 1044, still in the loft, maybe I’ll sell em

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
I have a few old Intrepid reels one is the "boyo"? the other I can't remember off hand. I also have a Ryobi 3000.
All in perfect working order, not like these cruddy Chinese eBay items you see now that break as soon as you add line to them.
Ahh those days, childhood, digging for worms, no stress...
I will get them out and the old split cane rod I used as a boy and show them on here.

Munchy

Nicky Dodds

The 120M was introduced in 1983 and had, as mentioned, drag adjustment via a knob on the handle - a straight copy of the ABU closed face reels really (506M for instance)
The 125M came out two years later and had the stern mounted drag that it still sports today - 35 years in productiono_O

1657DM was released in 1988, although the 'Autocast' reel it was based on was three years older
The 123M was also released in 1988 as a stripped down version of the 125M - it was designed to be backwind only - £15 cheaper than the 125M and 2oz lighter. It reflected the fact that most British anglers stripped the drag systems out of the ABU closed face reels anyway.

There was a Browning fixed spool match reel that was released a couple of years later that also had no drag system (possibly called the Ultimatch I seem to remember) and again was cheaper and lighter than the 'normal' version it was based on.

Personally I wasn't a fan of the Daiwa closed-face reels, although I still own, and use regularly, a 1657DM

Simon
I always thought the 120M and the original autocast were around the same time. I'm sure they even shared the same advertisement. I was in the market for a new reel and was between those two and what swung it was I already had two Mitchell matches and I opted for the 120M. It was £30 and I bought it via a works shop scheme that allowed you to spread payments over 10 weeks and it was deducted directly from your wages without the wife knowing. The miners strike started in 1984 and I remember using it on the wharfe when not picketing.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Amazing what a little trip down memory lane will drag up, we have a similar thing PayPal credit lol, booked onto first match in 25 ish years last time I used the 125m was a match so only fitting I spool her up.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Loved my old Daiwa and Abu closed face reels - been sitting on the fence for a while about buying a 125M I keep seeing on marketplace & this thread has me dropping onto the ’go for it’ side

Marker50

Site Supporter
When you use the bucket of water method to respool do you let the line come of like it was spinning on a pencil etc or off the end.
Like you were casting from the spool

Rick123

Site Supporter
Oddly my favs are old Shimano reels before they got the 'line behind the spool problem' all my other reels seem to have? I do fish in a facing wind a lot, its the prevailing wind on the river. I just brought a Shimano Match aero x7 best line lay ever, it complements the old perfection. Both are now my trotting reels, and I have a TDM to compare them with.

trotter2

Daiwa closed face reel yes there ok ,feel slightly different in use to an Abu. But nothing you can't work around. 125m is an ok reel has a sweet drag system if that's important to you. The 123 back wind reel was a nice reel very light unfortunately mine developed a sticky pick up pin shame as it was a good user.