Reel to go with Acolyte Ultra Feeder

Zerkalo

Bit early days yet as I haven't bought the Acolyte yet, but looking to buy it over the next couple of weeks and want a suitable reel to go with it.

It's going to be for light/medium feeder work for Bream.

Zerkalo

Although I've not bought the rod yet so got me considering a 12foot rod there... might punch a feeder a bit further than the 11ft.

rufcuk

second hand I would look at tdr 3012 for 11ft other options for just over hundred are Preston centris and browning sphere which are similar in spec - if you don’t mind not having back wind the ultegra is a beautiful reel

Zerkalo

Been looking at the Preston Centris but couldn't decide on the the 420 or the 520, leaning towards the 520 for the extra oomph which can't be a bad thing?

Might be able to stump up for the TDR 3012 Don't mind not having back wind for what I'll be using it for so Ultegra seems another good option but for some reason I'm thinking about the Preston.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I'm in a similar situation in that I'm going to get an ultra feeder for next season but I've already got the reel for it with drennan 7 series feeder. I have the ultra float rod with a 7 series float reel and it's a nicely balanced set up so hoping the feeder combo will be as well. And it looks smart all being drennan ;)

Westy555

This is the combo that I use on my Acolyte it has 2 spools and the bait runner option always come in handy...

My personal opinion is that the Ultra is to light and that the Plus would be more suitable
Shimano fb2500dl is what I use on my ultra

Zerkalo

Interesting, so you think the Plus would be better for Bream fishing? I've heard the blanks are very thin on the Acolyte.

Could maybe get a plus and buy a lighter tip for it, always an option.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
All depends on your range and feeders, sub 50 yard casts and sub 50g feeders and the ultra will be fine.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I've got the 12' Acolyte Ultra and use it for casts up to about 30 or 40m - it probably would chuck a feeder further but I've got other, better suited, rods if I need to do that so don't bother trying. Mine currently has a TDM2508 strapped to it for no other reason than at the time I bought the rod Fishing Republic were selling Daiwa reels at stupid prices.
Because I'm not chucking to the horizon a big reel isn't necessary and a TDM has quite enough winding power - alternatively a Daiwa Ninja or Legalis would be just as suitable (and a few quid cheaper)

Simon

Freesolo82

I had the 11ft ultra and its a beautiful action for small fish my only issue is it felt more of a bomb rod and with a loaded 30g groundbait feeder the rod felt under gunned and too soft.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
From my limited experience of it I’d agree that 30g is the most the ultra can cast comfortably with 20g being the sweet spot, it’ll do it’s top end rating on 40g but not nicely. Have no concerns over it handling decent sized fish though as my grandad has had Bream, Tench and pike in the 6lb range with a bit of flow behind them on his and it’s looked like it’s handled them fine to me. I’m sure it could handle fish in the 8lb range fine even though it is probably designed with 4-5lb fish tops in mind.

Zerkalo

30g groundbait feeders are what I'll be casting. Will have to have more of a think about whether to get an ultra or a plus.

Westy555

Interesting, so you think the Plus would be better for Bream fishing? I've heard the blanks are very thin on the Acolyte.

Could maybe get a plus and buy a lighter tip for it, always an option.

Yes get the plus,

I used my Plus for Roach and Bream fishing with the 2oz tip and its performed well with no hook pulls.

I have heard of the Ultra rods snapping from local tackle shop, they have all there remaining Ultra rods massive reduced in the bargain bin if that helps in making up your mind ?

Zerkalo

Is a difficult choice. I mght see if my tackle shop has any so I can have a feel for them as I do like the idea of having a light rod specifically for Bream, so was leaning towards a 12ft Ultra to give the extra casting power. Last thing I want is a rod that snaps though.

Freesolo82

I have never heard them snapping, lots of positive comments about them I just felt a little under gunned when casting, another thing to note is if you intend on using braid and shock leaders then these are not ideal as the eyes are small unless they have changed since I had one.