Reel recommendations

Twiddler

Hello,
I have purchased 2 rods, the Drennan Matchpro Ultralight 14’ and Drennan ultralight feeder rod, what would be the best make and size reel to use with these ?, hoping one will do for both.

Thanks for looking.

Twiddler

Budget, I don’t mind, I would rather buy once. I have a pair of Shimano 4000oc’s but I think they a too big !

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The one you’ve got would be ok for the feeder rod but too big for the float rod. You’d want something in the 2500-3000 range for that. If you like shimanos then Sahara’s are very good for their price point but if budget isn’t an issue then you’ve probably got loads of options in the higher end shimanos and daiwas but I can’t recommend any as I don’t spend that much on reels.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I use cadence cs10 4000’s on my waggler rods, I think they’re a great reel for this type of fishing

lucc

Try the new shimano vanford. Ultra light for your light rods; very great quality.
I got several. The 2500 SHG is only 175g, 89cm per turn...You get what you pay for...

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
I'm very happy with the Daiwa Fuego Lt 3000D-C I bought for float fishing only weighs 215g & nice and smooth.
I've included a link to buy shallow spools which I paid for through Paypal and waiting for delivery.
Andrew's Knots on YouTube also holds these reels in high regard and that's how I found out about the shallow spools.
Make sure you order the black spools though!