Reel reach and trotting.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Its interesting when talking about trotting reels, (apart from Centre-pins) because we all have different size hands, and our rods are all slightly different in size. To trot all day, your finger has to just rest on the spool lip and not be stretched or reaching. Its why I find it odd at times that people ask about the best trotting reels to buy? Not a criticism at all, just an observation really. I used two reels today on my new rod, and neither felt just right, ok, but after several hours I thought I need to try another reel that doesn't have as long a hang. Its subjective I know many won't be as fussy as me, I must try the Mitchel next time out and then the 501 too.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Tbh whilst I can reach the spool lips of my reels easily most my trotting is over short distances at a steady pace so I can trot with the bail closed more often than not (can just flick it open and closed occasionally if need be) so its not really something I really think about.

ravey

This was a bugbear of mine for ages. What I needed was a reel with really good line lay and a nice easy reach to the spool. I ended up settling for Daiwa 2503CUs and 3000iA. Perfect, and suit me down to the ground.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Well I've tried 3 reels on a new rod for trotting, one to heavy 2 ok thankfully one closed face and one open so I can use for waggler or stick depending on what the day calls for, still not absolutely convinced I've nailed it, ive a couple more in the locker to try.

floatfisher

Site Supporter
I use Shimano 2500 reels for float work on rivers and I can reach the spool lip easily enough. The old Mitchell 300 type was ideal for both line lay and ease of reach. The spools on them were quite wide in diameter compared to many other reels available which made reaching the lip easy. Too many reels imported into the Uk were designed for other markets, primarily the American lure fishing, and were not ideally suited to UK needs.

richox12

I've got short fingers and always wind the reel so that the spool is at its lowest before opening the bail. It becomes a good habit.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Well thats welcome feedback, I thought it might have been just me and my own feelings. Maybe a smaller reel like a 2500 could work, I'll try one. The trick is to get a reel heavy/light enough with the right stem size. Its worth mentioning while I don have navy hands, I do have long fingers?

Rick123

Site Supporter
Tbh whilst I can reach the spool lips of my reels easily most my trotting is over short distances at a steady pace so I can trot with the bail closed more often than not (can just flick it open and closed occasionally if need be) so its not really something I really think about.

Lucky you, so I may cast as far as you trot, before I start trotting?:eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

davepellet

I use an Abu 1044 as I find the short, straight drop of the stem about right for my 2nd finger... the one I always use

Even my 501’s & 506m feel a little too much of a stretch and it’s down to an accident I had in my 20’s, broke 2nd & 3rd fingers so can’t fully extend them

Robwooly

This is what I do for all my fishing even of fast rivers, I find paying out the line each time you open the bail arm holds the float back beautifully (unless it's a downstream wind) Allowing the bait to fall through the water where and when needed several times during the run through.

The down side is back in the old day with old reels I used to get through bail arm springs like there's no tomorrow, the bonus is there's no need for the finger to rest on the spool and there's never that bump off people talk about when they hook a fish and flick the bail arm over

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
This is what I do for all my fishing even of fast rivers, I find paying out the line each time you open the bail arm holds the float back beautifully (unless it's a downstream wind) Allowing the bait to fall through the water where and when needed several times during the run through.

Yep I find that as well, seems to work perfectly well for me 👍🏻

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Na all trotting needs free running line, opening and closing the bail arm faff, don't tend to bump fish after the strike closing the bail arm, but we all have slightly different techniques. We all have our methods and were taught differently, and we all think we are right. Our way is the best. Well mine is I'm almost sure. 🤣

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Na all trotting needs free running line, opening and closing the bail arm faff, don't tend to bump fish after the strike closing the bail arm, but we all have slightly different techniques. We all have our methods and were taught differently, and we all think we are right. Our way is the best. Well mine is I'm almost sure. 🤣
Not really sure how I got into it tbh. I guess as I probably only have to let a wrap or two of line off maybe every handful of trots seeing as I trot quite short distances at steady pace so get bites early I just sort of decided that it was easier to leave the bail closed and open it when occasionally needed. As rob says it does work well for sorting the line out.

Robwooly

I got into it as I have a cack handed dad who taught me on tiny public ponds, I guess you wouldn't have an open bail arm on a pond or a slow river? After a while it becomes natural on canals and faster rivers and so on. I do think it can be cack handed too but love it. There's pros and cons between both and my reference to bump offs is only from other threads where it's been mentioned by others

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
@Silverfisher I'm supprised you don't have a longer trot as it's a big river and loads of water to go at, when I'm trotting I'll trot long if I've not got a bite in the zone just to see if them fish have backed off or the better stamp fish are off the feed near far down the peg ECT.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
A Daiwa 125m is a nice reel for trotting... I had one for a while and moved it on, as I prefer to trot with a pin (my own personal choice) but it did the job admirably (I have short stubby fingers)... a very nice reel

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
You can bump if your not smooth enough it's all practice. Once you loose a quality fish or two you soon learn.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
@Silverfisher I'm supprised you don't have a longer trot as it's a big river and loads of water to go at, when I'm trotting I'll trot long if I've not got a bite in the zone just to see if them fish have backed off or the better stamp fish are off the feed near far down the peg ECT.
You can’t trot super long as there’s always a weed bed, a shallow or something in the way at some point but as much as anything as the flow is quite steady the loose feed doesn’t go far downstream so the fish settle at a point quite early in the trot. If I don’t get a bite or snag I’ll let it go long but chances are you’ll get a bite early and if you don’t you tend to hit a snag before it goes long.

MarkW

I fish open bale arm (Mitchell Match) regardless of venue, a safeguard again very fast running fish which remarkably includes better roach which often do a short fast run upon being hooked on shallow stillwaters.