Reel maintenance.

granda

I picked up a cheap Daiwa reel recently at a price too good to miss but looks like it had been unused for a while so I set about giving it a good clean.
It's come up looking good but when I took the spool off to remove any internal dirt there was a very small washer on the spindle which crumbled away as soon as I touched it.
The reel seems to be working fine without it but I have a nagging doubt that I should try to source a replacement washer and maybe I'll damage the reel using it as it is.
Can anyone familiar with the engineering of fixed spool reels give me answer please?

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
They are spacers to help get an even line lay on your spool. If you have the box you might find some spares inside.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The small washers on the spindle that the spool sits on are there to alter the line lay so try it without and if its level just use it without.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
They are not metal on the older Daiwa reels more like a Bakelite type material in a reddish brown colour.

granda

Thanks for the prompt replies lads.
The washer,or spacer as I now realise, was a reddish brown colour but the line lay looks fine so I'll leave it as it is.
I'd wrongly assumed that it was there to prevent friction between moving parts.
Thanks lads.