Reel line problems!

Gaz-J

I keep having problems with my reel line. I re-spool and the line looks absolutely fine however, after 5 mins of use it keeps kinking?! I have tried different lines, reels and rods so I am wondering if it is something I am doing wrong? When the line is under tension the links disappear however, when it is slack it looks like the photos attached. I am still catching fish and the strength doesn't seem to be affected but something isn't right, can anyone help

Attachments

• IMG_20220607_202033.jpg
    IMG_20220607_202033.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20220607_202056.jpg
    IMG_20220607_202056.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 39

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
Line twist.

You could (with a volunteer) stretch the line out over a long field and reel in with no weight on the end just using your fingers to eliminate any twist. What i find helps is after several casts i just let whatever weight i'm using hang 6ft from the rod tip and let it spin,, stopping it intermittently to see if it starts spinning again.

If no more spin most of the twist is gone :)

Total

Site Supporter
What make of reel and line are you using in your photos above and can you please show us a photo of the line on that spool? Thank you.

grey

Site Supporter
The concept of a fixed spool reel only works if the the spool is actually fixed!

Most common causes of line twist
• spooling up with too much tension or running line too tight through a cloth
• excessive use of drag or free spool mode
• allowing the baited end to rotate freely, either in the water or when you lift out to rebait

I suspect you're re-spooling with far too much tension - it's difficult to achieve that level of line twist within five minutes of fishing.

Soak your line first, then spool up (spool on pencil style) with the least amount of tension you think you can get away with - don't run it through a cloth.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
I have always filled my reels with the reel on the bottom section of a rad and line through the first eye. I then simply trap the line with the palm of my hand on the handle and wind. Never really had this issue. I use the drag when fishing, I do not backwind.

Are you filling the spool to the brim ?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I still get my dad to hold to spool for me as I reel and he holds the line with a cloth. I've looked at the methods that all the pros recommend and it seems to me that the line goes on perpendicular to the reel. The only time I've seen twist that bad would be if it had gone on in the opposite direction to coming off the spool, or winding against the drag. Looks like twist to me rather than too heavy line.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Check that the drag has not loosened, you could be winding against the drag without realising it. As @Total says, it looks a classic case of drag twist.

Gaz-J

What make of reel and line are you using in your photos above and can you please show us a photo of the line on that spool? Thank you.
It's a drennan series 7 float reel and maver jurrasic classic in 0.18

leenaz

I keep having problems with my reel line. I re-spool and the line looks absolutely fine however, after 5 mins of use it keeps kinking?! I have tried different lines, reels and rods so I am wondering if it is something I am doing wrong? When the line is under tension the links disappear however, when it is slack it looks like the photos attached. I am still catching fish and the strength doesn't seem to be affected but something isn't right, can anyone help
Cool