Reel line for barbel fishing river wye

Total

Site Supporter
Trying to tie 15lb Sensor to a 26 spade ain’t going to work Mark. Give it up. I keep telling you. You don’t need 15lb line to handle those gudgeon you catch choose how big you say they are. ???

I wouldn't generally use it on hooks that big Mick....:love::geek:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I wouldn't generally use it on hooks that big Mick....:love::geek:
I can’t even see the packet of 26’s these days never mind the hooks. I can still tie a 24 spade by hand without glasses. Although I think next year is going to be the year Michael has to get himself some reading specs sorted. Once you get past 50 Mark .... you’re buggered. ???

Total

Site Supporter
I can’t even see the packet of 26’s these days never mind the hooks. I can still tie a 24 spade by hand without glasses. Although I think next year is going to be the year Michael has to get himself some reading specs sorted. Once you get past 50 Mark .... you’re buggered. ???

Aye mate, and when/if you get the specs and you've got the room indoors, invest in one of those free standing magnifying/light jobbies....Worth their weight in gold....(y)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Aye mate, and when/if you get the specs and you've got the room indoors, invest in one of those free standing magnifying/light jobbies....Worth their weight in gold....(y)
I’ve got one pal although I just use it as a light at the moment. I don’t think I’ve looked through the magnifying bit yet. Probably filthy behind the plastic cover. ?

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
I have just moved to Hereford on the river wye and I am in the process of putting my river gear together
I have got 2 candice feeder reels, but I would like to know everyone thoughts on the best reel line for the job
Company/diameter/braking strain
Bish, before you take any good advice from the lads on here i would ask Candice if its ok to borrow her reels. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Dave Roberts is using DH ProFeeder in 12lb (0.28), and 14lb (0.30) in extreme conditions.

Total

Site Supporter

peterb

Site Supporter
I fish the Wye regularly for barbel , not so much this year because of lockdowns , but always use Daiwa Hyper Sensor , usually 10lb main line and 8lb hooklength , there are a lot of boulders especially in the lower stretches which can damage your line and it copes well with that , check your line regularly for damage though .

grey

Site Supporter
Same advice as peterb above ^^ the Wye's very rocky in that area so you need an abrasion resistant line and minimum 50g feeder to hold in normal flow. I generally use 10lb Technium - it's a bit thicker than some other suitable lines, but it's reliable and low memory for the weight you need it in.

Maxima's alright, but it's stiff and a bit of a handful in the heavier lines. Trilene XL Extra Tough (blue spool) is good and cheap if you have it available in your local.

BoldBear

Same advice as peterb above ^^ the Wye's very rocky in that area so you need an abrasion resistant line and minimum 50g feeder to hold in normal flow. I generally use 10lb Technium - it's a bit thicker than some other suitable lines, but it's reliable and low memory for the weight you need it in.

Maxima's alright, but it's stiff and a bit of a handful in the heavier lines. Trilene XL Extra Tough (blue spool) is good and cheap if you have it available in your local.

Pro Gold breaking strains are (like Diawa Sensor) very under rated and 10lb Pro Gold is actually more like 12lb bs and 8lb Pro Gold is nearer 10lb bs in reality and 6lb Pro Gold is nearer the 7.5lb mark; so you have to take this into consideration when using it; plus it advertises that it is up to 100 times as abrasion resistant than other leading monos; plus it is well known for being extra supple and having a low memory.
These properties are why it has such a large following amongst a lot of Specimen anglers, and why I’ve used it for years. It was designed to be able to cope with harsh rocky bottoms.

Everyone has their own favourite lines of course but Pro Gold is definately mine.

Keith

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Never fished the wye, but couldn't see any differences between that or any other spate river, or any other river to be fair that would see me change from 10lb shimano technium. More the target species that determines line type/strength for me.