Reel line for barbel fishing river wye

Bish4529

I have just moved to Hereford on the river wye and I am in the process of putting my river gear together
I have got 2 candice feeder reels, but I would like to know everyone thoughts on the best reel line for the job
Company/diameter/braking strain

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I currently have Guru Pulse 10lb on my Barbel gear. Very good line and comes in 300m spools. There is a marker at 150m if you just want to top up a spool. 1 spool did both my Shimano 6000B's. Here's a link if you want to look at it, free delivery too. Use drop down for breaking strains.

As for best reel line, ask a dozen anglers and you'll probably get a dozen different answers. I'm just saying what works for me.

Last edited:

Arch

Site Supporter
I'm in the other half of the forum and don't like Sensor. I found it wound up too much for my liking and I got terrible twist ups with it. I now use the Korda Carp line in 12lbs. Cheap as well.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
During Lockdown Steve Maher said he uses this stuff for years in 10lb for his Barbel Fishing.
The flourocarbon coating probably helps pin it down and disguise it.

smiffy

Site Supporter
We went down there with maxima and Woody told us that it was fine so that’s all we’ve ever used. Good old fashioned, hard wearing line with a ton of stretch.
If your in Hereford you will know Woody’s
Id use something around 7- 10lb.

Last edited:

DomCrtr1975

An Idiot looking for his Village!
I use Shimano Aero Specimen or Gardner Pro for my Carp and Barbel work

Bish4529

During Lockdown Steve Maher said he uses this stuff for years in 10lb for his Barbel Fishing.
The flourocarbon coating probably helps pin it down and disguise it.
Never used florocarbon before only mono
Might be time to have a go

nejohn

Site Supporter
When I fish the Wye on the feeder specifically for Barbel my go to line will be 8lb maxima, however if I am in a particularly snaggy or rocky peg I might go to 10lb also might drop down to 6lb if it is very hard. I know maxima has some stretch in it and pre-stretched lines can give better bite indication but we are not talking little plucks on the rod tip you tend to know when you have a bite, the stretch can also come in useful while playing fish as it can act as a bit of a shock absorber also maxima is generally pretty tough and the bottom can be sometimes quite rocky

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
I use Tournament ST on my Barbel setup, 10lb or 15lb depending on the river and what i'm expecting to (or more likely not expecting to) catch.

Very good abrasion resistance, never had a problem with twist and it's got a decent amount of stretch to add to the cushioning effect of the rod. Also the colour is nice and lays immaculately on my reels.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
as per rd115 - I also use Daiwa Tournament ST (but in 8lb b.s.) for the Severn and Wye.
I'm fishing match style with a quivertip.
I find it much longer lasting than Sensor.
When I originally bought the bulk spool - Nathan Watson then posted about a Shimano line that is even better. Can't for the life of me remember what it was though ;)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Recommend is all we can do, Myself and half the forum would recommend Daiwa sensor - its too cheap for use by the other half ???
Daiwa sensor works for me brilliantly but, let’s not broadcast it rudd or Daiwa will start putting the price up. ???

tincatim

Site Supporter
Another vote for Daiwa Sensor, I use 10lb on the reel and 8lb hooklength. Seems fine to me, even in snaggy river swims.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
They should give it away....:p.....Bloody sauce charging folk for it.....;):ROFLMAO:
Trying to tie 15lb Sensor to a 26 spade ain’t going to work Mark. Give it up. I keep telling you. You don’t need 15lb line to handle those gudgeon you catch choose how big you say they are. ???