Reel for Tri-Cast Euro Legend feeder rod

Hunter1963

Good afternoon,
First a brief introduction: i’m Eric from the Netherlands, 57 years young..., and fishing for whole my life. I like feedering on both big and small rivers and stills. Also i have been 5 times at Iceland for, mainly, cod fishing. What i don’t like is specific predator fishing however once in a while i catch a pike on the feeder. I appreciate this forum for the generaal knowledge of tackle, techniques and specimen.

I think the general fishing possibilities in the Netherlands are different from that in the UK. We have a very few commercials, big rivers, many small rivers and stills.

For my heavy feeder rod, Tri-Cast Euro Legend feeder, i want to upgrade my reel. I now use a Shimano Technium 6000 but want a reel for greater distances in case the river Lek, which is a tidal river, is high to reach the main stream.

My shortlist is now a Shimano XSC 5500 Ci4+ or a Daiwa TDR Distance. What are your opinions about this reels? Money is not the main factor. That’s quality. If you Guy cheep, you buy twice! I already have a TDR 3012 (fine reel for my Tri-Cast XRS short method feeder or 10 ft AX Beastmaster), Twin Power 4000 for my 4x4 Ultralight and Super Ultegra 10000 XSA for my carp rods. Both brands are ok however I dislike the increasing plastic content of Shimano...

Many thanks in advance for your replies!

Hunter1963

P.s.: the rod is 13ft6 and the heaviest tip is 5 oz. My maine line is 0,10 braid and a 0,33 X-line fluorocarbon leader.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Welcome to the site mate

your fishing sounds interesting, be nice to read a post or two about it

Hunter1963

Thanks Mick. The catch is always a surprise. Generally on the small river Vecht: one Day 2 small roach, the other day 20 of them and a few bream up to 50 cm. Often small perch and occaisionally chub or pike. Material is a 10 fit light feeder rod, 2500 Shimano Biomaster reel, 15 gr. cage feeder, size 14 hook, 50 cm hooklength. Baits are maggots and mais. Always a surprise because the natural waters are not overstocked with carp, chub, BIG bream. Maybe the next time i’ll wrikte something about a large reservoir in Germany.

eric

Paul.P

Depends just how far " Distance " is for you ?, i use the shimano 5500 c14 reel for distance fishing at places like Barston which is a chuck of between 80-100yds with a guru 48gm method feeder, & the reel is great, i also use a daiwa 4012 tdr & have to say that is just as good & probably feels a more solid reel although i've had no problems with the shimano, can't say about the new daiwa distance reels as haven't used one.

Hunter1963

Paul,
It’s not specifically meant for casting 80-100 meters but more for being able to if nessaccary. If the river Lek is high, 80 meters is usefull to REACH the main stream. The Technium FA6000 is limited and the Ultegra XSA (6000 spool) to chuncky. My “problem” is that the mentioned reels are overpriced in the Netherlands so I have to buying blind in Germany or Austria.

Paul.P

Paul,
My “problem” is that the mentioned reels are overpriced in the Netherlands so I have to buying blind in Germany or Austria.

Are they overpriced in the UK ?, if not, surely one of the uk suppliers would ship one to you, or would the shipping cost out weigh any saving ?

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
I've owned both Shimano 5500 CI4+ and TDR distance reels and both would be fine for your fishing.

TDR distance feels more solid and has more cranking power though. Ideal for retrieving big leads and feeders.

Hunter1963

@paul buying in the UK is not economic these days due to vat, import duties and shipping. I can buy the TDR Distance in Germany for £ 240 shipping included. I’ve not seen a source in the UK below that amount. And buying at Anglingdirect is out of the question... Also the general stock situation in the UK scares me a little bit.
@rd115 you’re confirming my impression that the TDR is more solid. Also the clutch is very easy to improve with carbontex drag washers. I think it will be the TDR. Feeders up to 80 gr (empty)(depending the current) will do the job for 95% of my river fishing.