Reel for light float work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dickymint

I'm looking for a light fishing reel with an excellent clutch. It would need spools for 3lb to 6lb.

I have been told the Okuma match 30 pro at around 40 pounds is a good buy?

Thanks.

SteveH

Lindholme Refugee
I don't think you can go wrong with the Okumas, a bit more 'chunky' in action are the budget end of the Daiwa offerings but still reliable cheap reals.

fred_

i use spro blue arce 940 for all my waggler fishing. And its just perfect for light work, i use them for skimmers fishing with hooklenght down to 0.06 and 22-24 hooks and the work fine for me.

Last edited:

Team Man

Dickymint,
Have you considered using a closed face reel, I fish with a closed face virtually all the time, my latest closed face is the Abu 706, the clutch control on it is superb, it comes with 4 spools.

I use it for all fish from small Rudd through to Carp.

I see you are in Lincolnshire, where about, I'm between Spalding and Boston.

Foul ducker

I use a shimano catana 2500 for light to medium float and feeder work and shimano nexave in 3000 and 4000 for everything from light float to method feeder and they are all great value with great clutches and line lay[:T]

Dickymint

Hi,

Team man I live in Grantham, I would love some advice about the fishing your way. I've been a big fish hunter all my life, but have just found out how enjoyable it can be to catch smaller fish on light tackle. I will look at the ABU you suggested, thanks.

I'm thinking about the Grantham canal for Tench and Rudd, anyone fish it?

Thanks to all, please keep the advice coming.

Team Man

Hi Dickymint,

I live in Gosberton and I fish a little lake 2 mile from me at Donington, I don't know anything about the Grantham canal so can't help you with that.

Ours is only a small lake but the fishing is good, Roach, Rudd, Crucian, Tench, Carp, including Ghost, Mirror, common, Grass.

We lost a few fish in the summer and we thought we had lost our Bream but someone caught two the other day of different weights so we know at least we have two left, there is also a Sturgeon in there but no one has had it out yet.

It's 5 a day, or you can pay 50 in march for a year and you can fish it as much as you like.

It's behind a locked enclosure so we don't get any poachers.

Alan

tag

Shimano Hyperloop RB 1000, 2500 and 3000.
Far sweeter than any Okuma.
The best low priced reels, about 20/25 if you shop around.[:T]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.