Reel for heavier river float fishing?

adriang

Site Supporter
Had a trip to the Wye last week, and tried some loafer float fishing.

I originally tried an Abu 506 mk2 loaded with 6 pound line, and had real problems with the line bedding in, so I couldn't get the float running through as well as I wanted.

To be honest, I've never used such heavy line for float fishing before, but I've since been told that line bedding can be a problem with thicker diameter lines on close faced reels. (I'm not that impressed with the Mk2 506's anyhow, but that's another story).

Any recommendations for a float reel that's good with thicker diameter lines and running water? I'm not worried about new or picking something second hand, it's more getting the best tool for the job.

I did have a centre pin with me, so all was not lost, but I did need a little more casting distance.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Put less line on the ABU 80 turns of the handle max and use something like Silstar match Team in 0.18 which is 6.6lb approx

Captain Pugwash

Ya wont catch owt sat on the settee. P.A.C Member
I do the same on my abu 501 75 turns 4lb floatfish, diawa 125s harrier 80 turns 6lb floatfish dont suffer line bedding even on tidal trent.

adriang

Site Supporter
thanks gents, I totally forgot about limiting the amount of line on a closed face reel, I guess I got used to the shallow match spools. This is probably the solution, I did load a 300m spool of Shimano line on one of the deep spools. I'll reload onto one of the unused shallow spools and use a lot, lot less.

trotter2

Ivan marks specified 80 turn on a home made shallow spool modified by using car filler turned on a lathe to produce a shallow spool. It works well and is the method I have stuck to for many years. No reason to argue with the master.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Those reels were originally designed for Salmon spinning which is why the first 503,505, came with metal deep spools that took 12 or 15 pound line. The later 506m and 501 had shallower plastic spools because of UK demand for river fishing but by then several uk companies produced even shallower spools.
The action of the reel prevents you putting line on with any great tension to start with and filling the spool like you would with a conventional fixed spool reel is not required again because of the action of the reel and if its too full the line will find its way behind the spool.
Abu were hoping the 507 mark 2 might be adopted for pellet waggler fishing with heavier lines as well as traditional trotting which is why it has a clutch system but sadly they are not a good reel and many have suffered with faults compared to the originals which were pretty faultless.

trotter2

Those reels were originally designed for Salmon spinning which is why the first 503,505, came with metal deep spools that took 12 or 15 pound line. The later 506m and 501 had shallower plastic spools because of UK demand for river fishing but by then several uk companies produced even shallower spools.
The action of the reel prevents you putting line on with any great tension to start with and filling the spool like you would with a conventional fixed spool reel is not required again because of the action of the reel and if its too full the line will find its way behind the spool.
Abu were hoping the 507 mark 2 might be adopted for pellet waggler fishing with heavier lines as well as traditional trotting which is why it has a clutch system but sadly they are not a good reel and many have suffered with faults compared to the originals which were pretty faultless.
Ken I would guess you are referring to the new 507 and not the goldmax which was really the mark 2 version.
What faults has been developing with the new model 507 . I never purchased the new one but interested as to what's going wrong with them .

Trailblazer

Account Locked
I'd go for the daiwa tdr or a front drag shimao stradic. When either of those reels are attached to the rod most peoples fingers will reach the spool easy enough in order to trap line. Personally i'd go for a 2500 size, or maybe a size up.

I used the 501 for many years and it was good, but I always had line stick problems with it. To combat the line stick you might find it best to wind on under a fair bit of pressure. I always found using a heavier mainline as you did actually helps cut down on line stick/bedding in, as has been said already, just keep the amount of line you load to a minimum.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The Gold Max was never considered a mk2 by Abu as it was a different reel nothing to do with Sweden.
The new ones have issues getting the spools on and off because of poor size tolerance combined with the clutch and the gearing itself is not up to much, I would not have one free to be honest and stick to my original Swedish 507s

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
The Gold Max was never considered a mk2 by Abu as it was a different reel nothing to do with Sweden.

That's debatable! I have two to hand now. They are labelled up as "Gold Max 507 Mk2". As there was never a Mk1 Gold Max, it's pretty safe to assume that they did consider the Gold Max to be a Mk2 version of the 507. They are also clearly labelled with "Designed by Abu Garcia Sweden".

The Gold Max 507 (Mk2) might not be popular with many, but that's not a good reason for airbrushing history and trying to deny their existence. The main reason for the modern 507 being erroneously called the Mk2 is because Pure Fishing don't have enough interest in the history of the brands they've acquired.

trotter2

The Goldmax may not have been made in Sweden but neither is the new 507. So sorry ken I don't do along with the provence theory

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The true story from an ABU employee is that the owners at the time before pure fishing took over decided to take the design abroad to Asia to be copied basically so although it was based on an ABU original design it was manufactured in the Far East but having said that it was not a bad reel a little heavy maybe as it was fully checked out by ABU before it was sold.
This started the trend to manufacture all the parts and a lot of reels in China/Thailand but assemble a few in Sweden so they could be stamped made in sweden the Mag Elite multipliers are a good example of this.
Obviously to ABU employees this was the start of the end and that is why ABU did not consider the Gold Max a Mk 2 but a different reel just like all the close face reels became.

trotter2

The Goldmax 507 is marked MK2 on the cover ken. If Abu had not considered it a true 507 but as a different reel it would have been called a Goldmax or a Goldmax MK1
It's not it's full title is Abu Goldmax 507 mk 2 I have one so has Chris.
It's got to be they simply made a mistake and never checked the history books first.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
The true story from an ABU employee is that the owners at the time before pure fishing took over decided to take the design abroad to Asia to be copied basically so although it was based on an ABU original design it was manufactured in the Far East but having said that it was not a bad reel a little heavy maybe as it was fully checked out by ABU before it was sold.
This started the trend to manufacture all the parts and a lot of reels in China/Thailand but assemble a few in Sweden so they could be stamped made in sweden the Mag Elite multipliers are a good example of this.
Obviously to ABU employees this was the start of the end and that is why ABU did not consider the Gold Max a Mk 2 but a different reel just like all the close face reels became.

I appreciate that it's made in Korea (not China, Thailand or Malaysia). I also understand why Abu employees, and Abu aficionados, would be disgruntled with that. However, it was most definitely still an Abu product and pre-dated the demise of Abu and Pure Fishing buying the brand. I can understand why many don't consider them to be "proper" Abu products, but they are more Abu than the recent reels. Regardless of where they were made, somebody at Abu (the original company) considered the Goldmax to be a successor to the 507 to bother to call it the Abu Goldmax 507 Mk2. The fact that Pure Fishing didn't know this, or chose to ignore it, when it came to naming their new reel, is immaterial.

trotter2

Also it common knowledge that due to the success of the original Abu 507
used as a match fishing reel ( not as manufactures intended) Dave Harrell had input on the design of the Abu 507 Goldmax match version. So it was very clear from Abu what the naming and intentions were.
It was supposed to be a upgrade on the 507. The mistake was incorporating the double pick up pins which were problematic. Which is a shame as it's a very good robust reel.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The name matters not at all but that reel was the start of the end of ABU as we knew it and I deliberately said far east as there are manufacturing bases all over.
I hope the new owners of the group have better ideas regarding the heritage of the brands and pay some attention to restoring them back to their former glory rather than just a rebranded Omoto or similar.

trotter2

I do believe the answer was not to incorporate a modern drag system in these reels . The most use these reels see is light trotting, stick float fishing on rivers for smaller fish.
The average angler still using these is actually quite happy with backwinding. What would be better than a reel incorporating the 501 clutch system it was perfect no further work was needed imo.