Reel - Can't decide

Markus

The magnitude has the same gear. The centris has a niti bail wire, Quick release push button spool and a single and double handle. I am not sure about body materials. The centris has a very small and light body.
It feels perfect. But the tdr is nowhere near to be a standard reel. It is also a very fine one! As already said, both reels are at the same level. It is just a personal choice.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
It would appear that the X, are no longer made, but their robustness and popularity can be seen on EBay, by the fact that they are hardly advertised and go for anywhere from £80 to £120. I think that this range of reels where the best they ever made. But that is my opinion only. ( I have 6)

carlh

Site Supporter
Sorry, over the Preston Centris's ? And are the Preston's better than the Cadence's?

The TDR's look about £100 more than the Preston's.
Preston centris and the cadence are night and day ,the centris are a high end reel and the cadence to me feel like a low end reel I didn’t like them at all and quickly sold them ,that’s my opinion

trotter2

I had a tdr and was very underwhelmed with it . Have a look at the browning sphere reel. Failing that shimano every time.

Markus

If you have a close look at the sphere reels, check the arm/body. The reel is not very torsion resistent. In my opinion not at the same level as the TDR or Centris.

deck24m

Site Supporter
Shimano Stradic X for me - are you buying new or 2nd hand
I will buy new or used if I see a good deal.

I have stradics already and love them. I haven't got the 'x' though. I see them come up on ebay but they always looked well used and have a high price so stay i clear, always keep checking though.

deck24m

Site Supporter
If I was to go for a magnitude or centris which size would be best for pellet waggler?

Markus

420 or even 520. I own 6 centris 420 and use the reels for everything. But even the 520 is so light, it can be used for waggler fishing....

Fishfinderuk

There all very good, but why waste money,if you already have something that will do the job.(trust me I'm the world's worst for it).

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
For feeder fishing I have 7 x 520 centris, much better winding power than a tdr and smoother, but for waggler fishing, i use cadence cs 10’s, they’re defo not worth the £100 asking price though,, I bought mine when they were buy one get one free, or 2nd hand, if you have to pay full price, get a centris, they’re about £130 online

Beck Hill

Any reel you may choose to purchase must have certain qualities beneficial to it's use. Any reel must store line in a particular manner, laying it around the spool to prevent 'pick up' when casting, it must have an adequate retrieve rate, some form of clutch mechanism and all the rest of the knobs and whistles that make it fit for purpose. It does not have to be ultra expensive to have all the desired qualities, these can be found on many of the quality Chinese reels now available via Ebay or Aliexpress. Bearing this in mind, why do sums in excess of £100 need to be spent on buying a reel when identical use properties can be found on something costing around half of this sum. Have we got to a stage where if our kit does not have a Designer label it does not bear consideration? Does the expensive end of the reel market consist of many reels either made in China or containing Chinese components that those marketing the reels do not tell the buyer about just like many of the rods now available with that small Made in China sticker on them?
Of course, the problem of choosing a new reel could be totally eliminated by becoming a pole fisherman but then the problem of choice will still prevail.

deck24m

Site Supporter
For feeder fishing I have 7 x 520 centris, much better winding power than a tdr and smoother, but for waggler fishing, i use cadence cs 10’s, they’re defo not worth the £100 asking price though,, I bought mine when they were buy one get one free, or 2nd hand, if you have to pay full price, get a centris, they’re about £130 online
Thanks Mike

I bought the CS8's from you. How did they compare to the Centris's. Close or millions miles apart?

I have Shimano's for me feeder fishing so this reel is for pellet or heavier waggler fishing.

deck24m

Site Supporter
Any reel you may choose to purchase must have certain qualities beneficial to it's use. Any reel must store line in a particular manner, laying it around the spool to prevent 'pick up' when casting, it must have an adequate retrieve rate, some form of clutch mechanism and all the rest of the knobs and whistles that make it fit for purpose. It does not have to be ultra expensive to have all the desired qualities, these can be found on many of the quality Chinese reels now available via Ebay or Aliexpress. Bearing this in mind, why do sums in excess of £100 need to be spent on buying a reel when identical use properties can be found on something costing around half of this sum. Have we got to a stage where if our kit does not have a Designer label it does not bear consideration? Does the expensive end of the reel market consist of many reels either made in China or containing Chinese components that those marketing the reels do not tell the buyer about just like many of the rods now available with that small Made in China sticker on them?
Of course, the problem of choosing a new reel could be totally eliminated by becoming a pole fisherman but then the problem of choice will still prevail.
Agree, spending loads on a reel when you can get the same for less seems madness. But I think the problem comes when the reel develops an issue and it needs a spare part or sent away to be fixed. There is also the resale, a 2nd hand TDR will still command a better price than a Chinese copy because of the Daiwa name. Tthe above isn't just for fishing equipment it's for everything you or I buy in life.

Regarding ditching the reel for a pole. The problem becomes worse Poles are a nightmare to choose from as there are so many! Also the cost is amplified by 10/20 times more.

Beck Hill

Agree, spending loads on a reel when you can get the same for less seems madness. But I think the problem comes when the reel develops an issue and it needs a spare part or sent away to be fixed. There is also the resale, a 2nd hand TDR will still command a better price than a Chinese copy because of the Daiwa name. Tthe above isn't just for fishing equipment it's for everything you or I buy in life.

Regarding ditching the reel for a pole. The problem becomes worse Poles are a nightmare to choose from as there are so many! Also the cost is amplified by 10/20 times more.
That may be so but it gets over the dilemma of choosing a reel

deck24m

Site Supporter
That may be so but it gets over the dilemma of choosing a reel
I have a pole, box etc.. I choose to use the rod and reel, its just what I prefer.

Pole will catch more fish but I go fishing to relax and not that bothered with how many I put in my net.